Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wich card 5850 or 2x 5770 in crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2010 8:28:16 PM

ok i read the best gaming card review however im still wondering on this issue primarily because im thinking future longativity more then FPS. the 5770 has a 128bus im wondering if 2 of these cards would be crippled when matched with the highest resolution 2560x1600 with 3d imaging. would that bus really hurt? or would you still consider 2 5770's over a 5850

thanks
winter
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 8:36:56 PM

Id go with the single card. that allows more flexability when you next need to upgrade as you can add another card while if you allready have two then youd need to somehow get rid of them.
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 8:42:08 PM

The whole issue of the 128 bit bus is overblown. Plenty of tests have been done, and the bus is not holding the card back.

I have two, and 5040x1050 resolution, and I was pretty surprised to see Crysis running 'ok' on all High settings while I was testing the cards out. I mean it was low fps, 20's or so, but still at that resolution that is helluva impressive.

In your case I'd go with the 5850 though. You said you want longevity, that gives you a good upgrade in future by adding another. I bought two 5770's, but I bought two 4770's in May too, and chances are I'll sell these on for the next awesome crossfire card that comes out.
Score
Related resources
January 18, 2010 8:47:03 PM

i usally upgrade graphics about once every 2 years, unless somethin major comes out like quantum leep in graphic looks ect. i like how the 2x 5770 in crossfire perform, but im really worried about that memory bus. another question i have is as far as features and looks go does the 5770 have he same features as the 5850? i knopw it has DX 11 but what about all the other nitty gritty (not including cores shaders ect)
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 8:54:41 PM

Crossfired 5770s will actually outperform a 5850 slightly ... but then you've maxed out your system and given yourself potential issues because some games just don't like crossfire very much. I'd go with the single card instead because it essentially does just as well, but leaves you more options and should give you fewer potential headaches.
Score
January 18, 2010 8:56:10 PM

I saw some benchies somewhere that said that 2 5770s are better than a 5870 in 90% of games (!). I don't know, but it's probably a safe bet.

Both the 5770 and 5850 have eyefinity, stream, and DX11. The only difference is performance, and size :p 
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 9:03:27 PM

Crossfired 5770's tend to win and lose vs the 5870 from what I've seen, but yes they are faster than the 5850 in the majority of games.

You will get a lot more overclocking mileage out of a 5850 so thats worth considering too.
Score
January 18, 2010 9:08:33 PM

yes on the overclocking, as far as games go what about next generation games? from what iv seen the 2x 5770's got more frames the higher the resolution on newer games then the 5850. also my system is a core i7 920 gigabyte x58 motherboard so either card bottlenecks should be a problem
Score

Best solution

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2010 9:16:11 PM

If the 5770's beat the 5850 in current games, they'll beat the 5850 in future games too. Don't get caught up on the bus, I know a lot of people think it's too low but really its fine.

The only drawback of crossfire is sometimes it switches itself off, or doesnt re-initialise after a system crash. You sorta get to the stage where you can tell when that has happened (I mean if you can't tell you had no need for crossfire anyway :p ), then it's a simple case of clicking 'enable crossfire' in CCC.

I would still go for the 5850 in your case however. That was my initial choice, and the main reason I went with the 5770's was a total lack of availability on the 5850.
January 19, 2010 6:54:37 AM

Not to bust your bubble but I bought one of the best 5850's from a credible brand such as Sapphire, and the graphics and speed of this card is truly amazing, however the colors seem saturated when compared to the Nvidia card I previously had which was a 9800gtx+ and the worst of it was when i was preactising with the physics as Crysis still has up to today the best, most fluid and realistic physics out there for a game already 3 years old. The 5850s physics feels cheap and much more stale when compared to Nvidias PhysX.

Imagine my older card 9800gtx+ may have been alot slower during the fps and movements but its physics is unbelievablely realistic compared to anynthing Ati has for physics. Throwing drums to the sea and even shooting birds or throwing dead korean soldiers feels totally different from one card to another.

To sum up this message, Nvidia still has the upper hand when it comes to realistic physics and Crysis is known to be the best engine that pushes this aspect of an Nvidia card. Very few ppl realize this.
Score
January 19, 2010 5:03:55 PM

thanks much for the info, wonder what other peoples thoughts are on it. id like to wait for farmi but i cant lol. i got the money now and it wont be there by time farmi comes out. but that to i was worried about physx for iv heard a few comments on. does anyone else have a 5850 and could speak for the game play and physx of the 5850?

thanks
winter
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 19, 2010 5:18:34 PM

liquidsnake718 said:
Not to bust your bubble but I bought one of the best 5850's from a credible brand such as Sapphire, and the graphics and speed of this card is truly amazing, however the colors seem saturated when compared to the Nvidia card I previously had which was a 9800gtx+ and the worst of it was when i was preactising with the physics as Crysis still has up to today the best, most fluid and realistic physics out there for a game already 3 years old. The 5850s physics feels cheap and much more stale when compared to Nvidias PhysX.

Imagine my older card 9800gtx+ may have been alot slower during the fps and movements but its physics is unbelievablely realistic compared to anynthing Ati has for physics. Throwing drums to the sea and even shooting birds or throwing dead korean soldiers feels totally different from one card to another.

To sum up this message, Nvidia still has the upper hand when it comes to realistic physics and Crysis is known to be the best engine that pushes this aspect of an Nvidia card. Very few ppl realize this.

You might try adjusting the color settings for your monitor. Most people I hear find the ATI has better color. That might be personal preference.

Now about PhysX. Crysis doesn't run physX. Games 3 years ago didn't use physX. There are almost no physX games out there, except Batman. I also know Sacred 2 has some effects too. What games are you talking about that uses physX from 3 years ago or even now?
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2010 11:16:21 PM

bystander said:
You might try adjusting the color settings for your monitor. Most people I hear find the ATI has better color. That might be personal preference.

Now about PhysX. Crysis doesn't run physX. Games 3 years ago didn't use physX. There are almost no physX games out there, except Batman. I also know Sacred 2 has some effects too. What games are you talking about that uses physX from 3 years ago or even now?

You're right, Crysis doesn't use PhysX. But you're wrong about PhysX not being out three years ago. Unreal Tournament 3, Dark Void, Darkest of Days, Mirror's Edge, Cryostasis, and Tom Clancy's GRAW2 all use PhysX technology as well.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 23, 2012 2:07:21 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!