DVD burner can't read cds or dvds at all.??

hockey97

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I have windows 7 64 bit OS.

just bought this:

Lite-On 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive - IHAS124-04 B

just installed it today and just got it in the mail.

This is about the 7th drive.

the dvd burner can't read any cds or dvd.

when tray is emtpy no cd or dvd in it. Then when you close it.

It will keep searching for a cd or dvd. trying to read a cd or dvd and it won't stop doing this.

when a cd is in it. it will stop reading and you would get a nice error message only when you go to my computer and click the drive to run the cd or dvd. It will give you an error saying please insert a cd or dvd.

then if you take the cd out and then close the tray with no cd at all the dvd burner will keep searching for the cd or dvd none stop as if it's about to read the cd or detects there is a cd in it.

Why is this? Do I need to reflash the dvd burner. I didn't flash it in the first place but the seller on ebay told me that this version is flashable and there are some custom firmware that you can download and flash this dvd burner. The seller claims he never opened the dvd burner or done anything to it that it was brand new. Yet, it came shipped in a box not a retail box just a regular mail box with cusion stuff and just the dvd burner in a plastic sleeve with 2 plastic things on 2 sides of the dvd burner.

This is the 7th one I bought. I returned the others which I bought from newegg.com those ones never even got detected.

Yet, with this one it is detected by bios and the OS. The device manager says the driver and device is working.

I am clueless on what to do. I am thinking I need to reflash the firmware maybe it wasn't done properly or something went wrong.

It's the only guess I have but I can't find the firmware software online to flash thing.

the manufacture only has a software that checks for updated firmware they don't give you any firemware just give you software that takes your dvd burner version information and then check in their database for updated firmware.

any ideas what I should do??

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Are you using the same comm cable between the MB and the various drives you tested? Try different cables.

Are any of the MB pins you are connecting the cable to damaged? Seems odd that multiple drive have the same problem.

Does the BIOS recognize it and the port you have installed it on? Is it a SATA drive? IDE?

Sounds like you got an OEM drive. They have no packaging at all and come just like you described. No problem there I can see.

So, if the BIOS registers the drive correctly then go into Windows. When you are in Windows with no disk in the unit does the Windows explorer screen show the drive amongst all your other HDDs?

Does your device manager see the drive correctly? Uninstall and reinstall the driver for it.

hockey97

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010

Bios sees it sometimes. When I am in windows it will show the drive now for like 5 seconds and then disappear and then come back on for another 5 secs and then do the same thing on and on.

Bios does detect it and so does windows and it's detected on the right port.

The wires are fine. I tried the same dvd burner in another computer and the same thing occurs. with my other computer the burner of that computer is hooked it up with this new computers and that one works perfectly fine.

It's just this dvd burner. Yet, I don't even know if it's the burner.

YA, IT'S A OEM drive. Does those drives need to be flashed? or does it come preflashed???