Advice for a new video card

Glotte

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Hello, I recently broke my old Geforce 8800 GTS and need to find a new one. Getting the same one feels like a waste of money so I'm gonna look for one that's better. But the problem is that i have no idea how to see if a card is better or not.

So it would be great if I could get some help with finding a good card that's compatible with the specs and budget I have.

I'm not 100% sure what specs you need to know in order to find a compatible card, so if I missed some let me know.

Windows xp
motherboard has a PCI Express x16 slot
Power supply 400W
2GB RAM

Anything between 100-200$
Also its for gaming :)

mfarrukh

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Well,

I would recommend RADEON 5770.

Supporting DirectX11

It will be good for you and your PC.

5770 performs great upto 1920x1200
And
the less powerful card which is
performs great upto 1680x1050

Go as your resolution is.

Don't consider anything else then these two cards because they are new and use far less power than other cards.

Glotte

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

Read on the System Requirements: 450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended.

Is it safe to use this with a 400W?

Also I have a 6-pin, but if its 75W or not i have no idea.

For your PSu, Your best bet is a 5770 as mentioned above.

The 6pin PCI-E connector IS a 75W connector, an 8 pin is 150w. FYI.

PS: How did you "break" your 8800GTS? If its under warranty you may be able to have it repaired or replaced.

Glotte

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Ok, so I've decided to get a RADEON HD5770. The price wasn't much higher then the 5750 so might as well get one that's slightly better.

I've found a place that sells em but there area few different kinds.

3 different manufacturers XFX, ASUS and SAPPHIRE.

The appearance of the cards variate quite alot.

Is there any quality difference between different manufacturers or is it the same?

Glotte

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

You can read what happent to the card here

No warrant left on it.

Those 3 are reputable brands. I've owned cards from each. Ultimatly they are the same card, but sold by different companies. Some vome with the original Pheonix cooler (the larger one) and others have gone to the smaller one (originally only used on the 5750). I believe the smaller one actually cools better, which is why they switched it. However, the Pheonix cooler does exhaust the hot air out of the case, so that can be an advantage, especially in crossfire.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Hi Glotte,

I agree with the assesment of 5770 as your best option, however I think you might like some additional background information.

This Tom's article discusses cards in each price range, and the last page has a graphics card hierarchy chart that helps you get a bigger picture compared to your old card.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2521.html

Also-- what is your processor/motherboard? If your processor is still decent you might be well served by considering 4gb of ram and Windows 7 as an overall system upgrade--it really is a lot nicer than XP (opinion).