Acer laptops, any good?

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I'm just about to purchase 13 Acer notebooks for work. It's a last minute
thing as was about to buy some well very cheap and well specced HP Athlon XP
notebooks until I found out that the model was discontinued. So I've settled
on Acer PM 1.5GHz/512 MB/40GB. Performance wasn't an issue with my choice
but battery life is so much better with the Pentium Ms (5 hours vs 2.5 with
the HP AXP). I would have considered A64 but the prices were out of my
budget.

I've heard generally good things about Acer but I was just wondering if
anyone here has experience with them, namely customer service, repairs etc
to overall build quality.

More about acer laptops good
  1. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I have an Acer TravelMate 290. The only problem I have had was a key that
    popped off! Snapped right back in, no problems. Battery life is awesome,
    and the price could not be beat.

    "K" <"kayjaybee"@clara.net> wrote in message
    > I'm just about to purchase 13 Acer notebooks for work. It's a last minute
    > thing as was about to buy some well very cheap and well specced HP Athlon
    XP
    > notebooks until I found out that the model was discontinued. So I've
    settled
    > on Acer PM 1.5GHz/512 MB/40GB. Performance wasn't an issue with my choice
    > but battery life is so much better with the Pentium Ms (5 hours vs 2.5
    with
    > the HP AXP). I would have considered A64 but the prices were out of my
    > budget.
    >
    > I've heard generally good things about Acer but I was just wondering if
    > anyone here has experience with them, namely customer service, repairs etc
    > to overall build quality.

  2. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Chris" <crice00@NOGOSPAMbellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I have an Acer TravelMate 290. The only problem I have had was a key that
    > popped off! Snapped right back in, no problems. Battery life is awesome,
    > and the price could not be beat.

    Thanks for that. That's a similar model to what I'm looking at, the 292LMi.
    Price is indeed very good and I'll probably go and put the order in
    tomorrow.

  3. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > "Chris" <crice00@NOGOSPAMbellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > I have an Acer TravelMate 290. The only problem I have had was a key
    that
    > > popped off! Snapped right back in, no problems. Battery life is
    awesome,
    > > and the price could not be beat.
    > >

    > Thanks for that. That's a similar model to what I'm looking at, the
    292LMi.
    > Price is indeed very good and I'll probably go and put the order in
    > tomorrow.

    If you search previous postings here, you will find that there are many
    people who have had terrible experiences with Acer, myself included! I have
    just managed to return a batch of machines that were purchased last year -
    poor reliability, unbelievable poor warranty service. Don't bother, spend
    that extra few quid and purchase from a better quality make.
  4. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "K" <"kayjaybee"@clara.net> wrote in message
    > I'm just about to purchase 13 Acer notebooks for work. It's a last minute
    > thing as was about to buy some well very cheap and well specced HP Athlon
    XP
    > notebooks until I found out that the model was discontinued. So I've
    settled
    > on Acer PM 1.5GHz/512 MB/40GB. Performance wasn't an issue with my choice
    > but battery life is so much better with the Pentium Ms (5 hours vs 2.5
    with
    > the HP AXP). I would have considered A64 but the prices were out of my
    > budget.
    >
    > I've heard generally good things about Acer but I was just wondering if
    > anyone here has experience with them, namely customer service, repairs etc
    > to overall build quality.

    As rich mentions Acer are pretty poor.
    Acer only sell because they're cheap. They're cheap for a reason. I
    wouldn't buy one
  5. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I would leave ACER alone if I were you. Check www.whatlaptop.co.uk for
    horror stories and a recent service story that took a guys computer to fix,
    scratched it, wiped the drive, put the case back together wrong, the
    keyboard is "warped" and they returned it without even fixing the original
    problem!!

    Acer and Tiny are two to beware of for sure

    >I've heard generally good things about Acer

    ####################
    I've generally heard HORRIBLE nightmare stories about ACER...and for yeras.
    BG
  7. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    You can also find that here are many people who have had GOOD experiences
    with Acer, inluding me :-)

    Regards,

    K.Polak
  8. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Krystian Polak" <krpolak@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
    > You can also find that here are many people who have had GOOD experiences
    > with Acer, inluding me :-)
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > K.Polak

    Can you give details?.
    What was your fault and how did they deal with it that made your experience
    a good one.
  9. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Here we are. I found some errors in RAM at the begining. I went to Acer
    service and 2 hours later everything was fixed.

    Also, just couple weeks ago I read on this newsgroup that somebody's the
    most laptops in office are Acer and all of them work fine.

    Somebody else writes: "I would leave ACER alone if I were you. Check
    www.whatlaptop.co.uk for
    horror stories and a recent service story that took a guys computer to fix".

    I can say exactly the same about every manufacturer: Dell, HP, Alienware etc
    etc. You can always find not happy users.

    Till now, my Acer works very fine and very hard. I am happy with this
    machine (Aspire 1700).

    Regards,

    K.Polak
  10. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Gavin" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > As rich mentions Acer are pretty poor.
    > Acer only sell because they're cheap. They're cheap for a reason. I
    > wouldn't buy one

    Or you could do some research in a real forum like www.notebookforums.com
    where people actually have knowledgeable, informed opinions.

    The Acer Aspire 2012 and 2025 series are quite well thought of, especially
    the 2012 at its price point.

    -Dan
  11. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "randomize user" <no@way.com> wrote in

    > I would leave ACER alone if I were you. Check www.whatlaptop.co.uk for
    > horror stories and a recent service story that took a guys computer to
    > fix, scratched it, wiped the drive, put the case back together wrong,
    > the keyboard is "warped" and they returned it without even fixing the
    > original problem!!
    >
    > Acer and Tiny are two to beware of for sure

    The person who posted the message on whatlaptop is, perhaps an
    unreasonable customer who may well have caused many of the niggles
    themselves e.g. not returning a laptop which was a few days old to their
    retailer for replacement etc.

    Not to mention almost every laptop forum I've found has this same post.
    Who goes to the bother of registering a new account on every forum they
    can find simply to post this type of message and then disappear? We've
    all seen people who complain at the least little thing, exagerate and go
    to enormous lengths in the hope of some free equipment or because of some
    underlying problem they have. Not that I'm saying this must be the case
    with this person but it certainly makes you think when you see the same
    post everywhere.

    As to the quality of Acer laptops I can't comment on the whole range but
    the few models I've used have been miles better than the Dells I've used.
    I'd say IBM probably makes, or should that be sells now, better quality
    devices in general.

    I've never used the cheaper Acer models and the support can be
    questionable, not as bad as my experiences with Sony, so I guess it's a
    case of paying your money and taking your chances. The quality of the
    support you get from Acer seems to depend who you get at the other end of
    the phone or shipment but many companies are probably like this.

    As for one posters comment about Acers being cheap I'd have to disagree
    since there are a range of laptops available, the upper end of which
    aren't much different than many other big names pricewise.I could have
    bought a number of similar centrino laptops from the likes of Sony, IBM
    and Toshiba for the same price or less than I paid for my current Acer.
  12. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Dan" <ebay@cdsniper.com> wrote in message
    > "Gavin" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > > As rich mentions Acer are pretty poor.
    > > Acer only sell because they're cheap. They're cheap for a reason. I
    > > wouldn't buy one
    >
    > Or you could do some research in a real forum like www.notebookforums.com
    > where people actually have knowledgeable, informed opinions.
    >
    > The Acer Aspire 2012 and 2025 series are quite well thought of, especially
    > the 2012 at its price point.
    >
    > -Dan

    The true test of notebooks is aftersales imo not just the product v price
    Our expereince with Acer was appauling. We had a nightmare with them.
    We've used HP and Dell aftersales and both were very good.
  13. Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > The true test of notebooks is aftersales imo not just the product v price
    > Our expereince with Acer was appauling. We had a nightmare with them.
    > We've used HP and Dell aftersales and both were very good.

    Probably the most under-rated brand in this newsgroup is the corporate Evo
    line at HP. It's the successor to the Compaq Armada line, and still seems
    to be a solid machine, although I don't currently have one. Sometime
    comparing technical specs and prices, people think the corporate brands
    (IBM, Dell Latitidue, HP Evo) are overpriced relative to consumer brands.
    But the warranty and service are usually better.
  14. :hello: i would prefer two brands
    1st DELL
    2nd is ASUS

    But if my budget is less then i 'll go with Asus. It's a great one that i have till now. The best part is that it's easy to upgrade. For more knowledge of notebook's visit http://www.onlinenotebook.com/ it'll really help you a lot.

Laptops Acer Hewlett Packard