One 1TB WD Caviar Black or Two 150GB WD Velociraptors

I just realized my (2) Velociraptors max speed is 3Gb. I have an ASUS Sabertooth x58 motherboard with (6) SATA 3 connections and (2) Marvell SATA 6 connections. I want to know what is the best possible performance I can get. Should I run the 2 velociraptors on a RAID 0 with SATA 3 or the 1 Caviar black on the SATA 6 connection? I use my PC for gaming and multimedia editing. Here is my components.

Windows 7 X64 Home Premium
i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
ASUS Sabertooth X58 - motherboard - ATX - LGA1366 Socket
12 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 570

1 TB Caviar Black SATA 6.0 Gb/s 7200 RPM
(2) 150 GB SATA 3.0 Gb/s VelociRaptor 10,000 RPM

I really appreciate your input. Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about caviar black 150gb velociraptors
  1. Your mechanical HDD drives are not capable of maxing out the SATA 3GB interface so what controllers you use for each does not really matter. I would have the raid array on the SATA 3GB ports and the 1TB on the marvell controller.
  2. rolli59 said:
    Your mechanical HDD drives are not capable of maxing out the SATA 3GB interface so what controllers you use for each does not really matter. I would have the raid array on the SATA 3GB ports and the 1TB on the marvell controller.

Thanks! If I am using my pc for gaming and multi media editing, where should I install the OS? Should I even use the velociraptors? Thanks again!
  3. You could use the raptors for the OS and applications which should be faster then the 1TB as storage.
  4. rolli59 said:
    You could use the raptors for the OS and applications which should be faster then the 1TB as storage.

I am a complete idiot. I got the numbers confused. The Caviar Black 1TB uses SATA 3 cables with 6.0Gb/s and the (2) Velocirapators use SATA 2 cables with 3.0Gb/s max speed. Does you answer still stay the same? Will the 2 raptors (3GB/s max speed) on RAID 0 array perform faster than the Caviar Black 1TB (6Gb/s max speed)? Sorry for the confusion.
  5. Rolli59 was correct. Only an SSD can max out the full bandwidth of SATA 3 or SATA 6. No mechanical drives even come close.

To be honest that WD 1TB Black might be faster than those old Raptors. Running them in RAID 0 would make them faster though.
  6. The raptors have average latency of 3ms and the black has 4.2ms, transfer rate is black 126MB/s max http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=100 the raptor 126MB/s (sustained) http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701282.pdf
    The latency would make the raptors a little faster regardless off the old interface.
  7. for Highest performance: Raid0 the raptors, but do a short stroke, that is create the array using only 1/2 of the disk. Leave the other half alone. and install your OS Plys programs. (added) Best performance is only using 30%, but tat would only be 90 Gigs) End added

This will boost performance over a typical raid0 setup using the entire platter.
    Used short stroke on a pare Of WD 640s, cut access time from 12.6 mSec to 9.x (can't remember exact number). Typical raid0 on HDDs ONLY improves Sequencial performance, but short stroke does provide a smal gain to the Random 4 K performance. Down side, lose disk space.

I would recommend moving to an SSD, but that's around $150->$200 and you have the raptors - so no cost. SSDs would blow the raptors doors off.

On sata III (6) HDD on sata 6 interface, only benifit is burst speed, there for a waste of a good sata III port - Except that the Older marvel sata III control is not much good for sata III SSDs anyways, So yes stick your WD 1 TB SATA III drive on the Marvel control (what I did).
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Caviar Western Digital Storage