Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia Tesla. Which Single CPU motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 24, 2010 10:54:18 AM

Hi

I'm currently specing a simulation PC and need to choose a single processor motherboard that will give the greatest performance for 2 Nvidia Tesla 1060s.

I've found a ASUS P7F7-E WS Supercomputer or a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 Intel X58. What would be the best? or are there any better boards?

Thanks
a c 213 V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
August 24, 2010 5:37:37 PM

Sounds like an interesting project. You do understand the following, yes?

Important Note: This board is NOT a video card. It has no display outputs for connecting a monitor. It is a processor that offloads the computation from the computer’s CPU. Also note that for operation under Windows XP, this board requires a NVIDIA graphics display board or motherboard NVIDIA graphics. This is not a requirement for Linux operation.

Assuming that isn't an issue, seems that either mobo you asked about will work. To be able to answer better, what other components do you plan to stuff into this beast (CPU, RAM, HDDs, OS, GPU, PSU, etc.)?

Also, what type of simulations are you planning on running?
August 25, 2010 12:52:52 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply :) 

I'm still in the process of finding the other parts but what I've got so far is:

CPU: Intel 980X extreme
RAM: 4Gb corsair XMS2 (I think) x 6
HDD: some type of solid state
GPU: 2 x Tesla 1060s and 1 9800GT
PSU: 1000W

The simulations are for microwaves from what I've been told but the main program that will be running is CMS

I think I may go with the Gigabyte board
Related resources
August 25, 2010 2:50:25 PM

I'm in the UK so can't use newegg :( . Wish I could though as its so cheap!!

I'll look for that product though :) 

Thanks
a c 213 V Motherboard
a b Î Nvidia
August 25, 2010 4:30:59 PM

Understood, mate. Just look for something similarly capable and you should be good to go. Also make sure you have a solid plan for cooling that monster of a system. It is sure to make a very good heater for what ever room it is located in.
!