Bad BIOS checksum - starting BIOS Recovery Asus M4N68T-M

chocomog

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Hello everybody,

I bought a new pc 2 weeks ago, and i have an issue since then : when I start the PC, I got the message "Bad Bios Checksum - Starting Bios recovery".
If I use the reset button, same problem occurs.
If I turn off the computer, then turn it on again, I can boot and use it correctly.
As soon as I turn it off for quiet a long time (for the night for instance), the problem occurs again.

My complete configuration is :
-Elite 335
-Corsair CX400
-Asus M4N68T-M
-2x2Go G.Skill 1333
-X4 635
-HD 4850 1Go
-WD Caviar Blue 500Go
-Samsung F1 500Go
-DVD Burner IDE LG
-Windows XP (x86)

What I already did :
-Clear CMOS
-Updating the BIOS with the Asus Update utility
-Replacing the Motherboard
-Check the memory with MemTest86+ : no errors

I'm a little lost...

Thanks in advance for your help...and sorry if my english isn't perfect...

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Have you thought about replacing the battery on the motherboard ? It should probably be CR2032.

What may happen is, when you turn your PC off for quite a long time with the motherboard battery dead, the capatitors on the motherboard lose charge and voltage, which helps keep the BIOS contents in CMOS which is normally kept by the healthy battery on the motherboard.

chocomog

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010

yeah I thought about it, but my supplier replaced the motherboard entirely with a new one...it would be weird to have 2 new motherboards with dead battery...

I'll give it a try though...I'll use the battery of my old motherboard

thanks for your help

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
First, if both of the motherboards were in stock for a long period of time, the batteries may have become dead already. Secondly, you may have a short during installation of the motherboard that drains the batteries in no time. I suggest you check the location of the motherboard risers and the cable harness.

chocomog

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
I changed the battery before starting the pc : it started OK (of course I had to set time/date), but then I got 3 blue screens in windows XP in less than 2 hours, followed by immediates reboots... :cry:
sounds weird (for a change...) but I put again the original battery on my motherboard 30 minutes ago and no death screen... I'll see if it occurs again tonight...

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Batteries being dead or alive have no direct/indirect connection with BSODs you are experiencing.

Most probably you have a broken cable in the cable harness that makes or breaks the connection when you move a cable or a loose pin in one of the connectors.

Another possibility for BSODs might be incorrect BIOS settings for your computer that result due to battery change, which turns all settings to Default values.

chocomog

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
I didn't have any other BSOD since I put back the battery I had with the motherboard.

This week end, I removed one memory module (which left me with 2GB...enough with Win XP).
Also, I switched on the multiplug (not sure of the english term), and I waited about 10s before I started the computer : the problem didn't occur ! (I tried this twice)
I'll make a few more test this week and I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for your help.

chocomog

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
good news : since I have removed a memory module, the error message didn't appear (nor the BSOD).
I tried to put it in back in place, and first thing I see is the error message.
I removed it again and no problem since...

It sounds weird that my problem comes from the memory, since I tested it with MemTest, but I'll bring it back to the store...
I hope this is the end of my problem.