Sign in with
Your question

Black screen W7 xfx 9800 gtx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2010 12:45:31 AM

So I got a xfx 9800 gtx today and I plug it into my system boot it up. Windows 7 installs its like default video drivers for it when it first boots and then needs to restart before I can install the nvidia downloaded drivers. When it reboots it gets to the windows 7 loading page and then after it does its little animation there the screen just goes black. Nothing works. Mouse, keyboard.. nothing. So I reboot and it bring me to a boot menu where it gives windows startup repair. I do that and it finds no FIXABLE errors. In the error info it says bad driver among other things. In the windows startup repair i can do a system restore, then I am back at square one.

I tried doing a driver clean of the old video nvidia drivers but that didnt work. Just instead of giving a black screen after the windows load screen it would quickly flash a bsod and then reboot.

any suggestions?
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2010 1:03:20 AM

Once you did the system restore, could you then get back into windows?

If yes, you may want to go to xfx's website and download their drivers.
m
l
January 19, 2010 1:11:38 AM

ya the problem is, I cant install drivers that I dl. Windows 7 instantly installs its 9800 drivers and then if I try to install downloaded drivers it says that it needs to reboot before it can install them. I reboot and then I get black screen which then requires a restore.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2010 1:26:59 AM

Try downloading and installing the drivers before you connect the video card.
m
l
!