Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I currently have an aging (BSOD-ing) ASUS A8V Deluxe with:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.20GHz
4GB RAM
VGA SAPPHIRE X1650
WinXP

I'm looking to either fix the current problem (buying a used A8V?) or build something for:
Office and Similar Apps
Light Video, Image, Audio editing
Serving audio, images, and video to AppleTV, etc.

I'm not interested in setting up for a gaming rig as my interest is minimal. I would like to preserve an upgrade path if possible while using some of my current components.

Thanks very much for your help!
Jeff

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have a similar system - same CPU, on an ASUS mobo A8R32-MVP Deluxe. I don't have your problem so I don't have to face it, yet. But we're sort of boxed in. Not may CPU's faster that the x2 2.2 GHz unit exist in socket 939. The RAM maxes out at 4 GB because I can't find any DDR modules over 1GB. My own thoughts for its future are more like running with what I have until it quits (I have too many old working PC's around already!) and then replacing mobo, CPU, RAM and whatever else seems right when I get there.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Thats very strange that the A8V Deluxe is BSoDing as it has been known to be one of the most stable motherboards of all time. I'm not at all sure what you want to do with it, getting a new A8V will mean reinstalling your OS and everything else. I'd start a new machine if you can, Intel have just brought out the I3 range so now is a great time to get a budget rig together.

jeffreyropp

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm at a point where I can't even reinstall the OS as the machine crashes reliably at the same point in the setup. I've tried testing the memory, eliminating and moving memory modules, swapping the video card, installing to IDE and SATA drives - everything I could think of to identify the problem, but nothing seems to work.

The typical error is: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL identifying atapi.sys (almost always, but sometimes a different driver suggesting a memory problem???)
At this point I have to assume the MB is kaput.

I noticed the recommended office builds include an Intel i3 option that is presumably upgradeable to i5/i7 down the road. Perhaps that makes sense? Anyone have a recommendation for MB? I'd like to run dual displays but I'm assuming that's not going to be an onboard option.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Jeff