Budget gaming system 600$

jvkua

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 weeks from now
BUDGET RANGE: 600-700

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Internet, School Work

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse, Keyboard, Graphics card, Monitor, Speakers, Optical Drive, OS, and PSU (Using a FSP Blue Storm Bronze 500w http://www.fsp-group.com/report/FSP_BLUESTORM_500W_Report.pdf )

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Philippines

OVERCLOCKING: Yes Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280x1024 (might be upgraded in the future)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is my 1st PC build, My current PC is a Acer M5641 with and E4700 core 2 duo processor and I upgraded the PSU and the Graphics to a HD 4870 but if its not yet worth it to change the PC just tell me cause I can wait till the future if its really not worth it ATM. Much of the pc parts websites are somehow unreliable in my country and You can use newegg to show we which parts are it.
So far I have
Core i3-530
ECS P55H-A
CM 690
CM hyper 212+
What I'm not sure about is the RAM and the hard drive though because I dont know much about these things
Games I currently play are: COD4:MW2, Crysis, Dragon age, L4D2, and some other nice game which will come out

For a gaming PC the i5 750 is better, so if you can get it into your budget along with the change to a P55 motherboard then I'd advise you to do that.
For RAM you should be looking for 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz DDR3, with low CAS Latency: 7, 8 & 9 are acceptable. The voltage should be at maximum 1.65V, again the lower the better.
Good harddrives are, in order of best performance: Samsung Spinpoint F3, Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, Western Digital Caviar Black, then Blue.
Hope that helps.

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Silvune is absolutely right about everything he said up there. If you can find a way to get an i5 in your budget then you'd be golden. A big plus is that you don't have to get another GPU for awhile as the 4870 will definitely be fine for now (might want to upgrade/go XFire in the future though). For the motherboard I'd suggest spending a few more bucks and getting the ASUS P7P55D-E ($190US) if you can fit it into your budget. Your PSU doesn't look bad (I've never heard of the brand though), but don't count on being able to XFire with that. For XFire/SLI, a good 700-750W is suggested.

Mavanhel has made some good points about the GPU and the PSU. I have heard of FSP and I've read two reviews for FSP Group PSUs today and both were found to be of acceptable quality, althought I haven't read one yet for that particular line.
I also just realized that, if I'm not mistaken, that the ECS P55H-A is a P55 motherboard. Here's a review for it http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/ecs_p55h_a/ If that's the correct one, then scratch the need to change it and just focus on trying to get an i5 750 instead.