Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hybrid CrossfireX

Last response: in Motherboards
August 24, 2010 5:07:25 PM

Does ANYBODY know if AMD's 880G/890GX chipset allows for automatic or manual switching between onboard and discrete graphics cards for power savings? AND, if it works well? This is the last bit of info I need before deciding on my new build. Seems like a waste to have a graphics card to be idling all the time at 130+ Watts all the time, but if the solution doesn't work I'd rather purchase AMD's 870 chipset.

Thanks,

B'doo

More about : hybrid crossfirex

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2010 7:22:50 PM

Quote:
Does ANYBODY know if AMD's 880G/890GX chipset allows for automatic or manual switching between onboard and discrete graphics cards for power savings?

No. Hybrid Crossfire has nothing to do with 'switching' between the onboard graphics chip and a discrete card one may install. Hybrid graphics works only with certian compatible cards (usually of the low performance variety), not all discrete cards. Hybrid graphics is a joke performance wise. I suggest you read the online User's manual for the MB you plan on purchasing and specifically the hybrid graphics specifications, what it means and what cards are capable of creating native crossfire with the onboard graphics chip. A single high performance card will tear a new one in any hybrid crossfire configuration.
August 24, 2010 7:40:25 PM

Thanks, that's all I needed to know. 870 it is...time to order parts and OD on SCII!
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2010 7:41:05 PM

Best answer selected by BrueBix.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2010 7:46:38 PM

Yeah, a single high performance graphics card is what you want if gaming. Buying a lower performance compatible card with the purpose of running it in native crossfire with the board's onboard chip won't get you far performance wise.
m
l
January 27, 2011 2:18:37 AM

Why did amd add it as a feature? just marketing hype to sucker the ill-informed? what use IS hybrid?
m
l
!