Sign in with
Your question

Why my ssd cannot be recognized by my notebooks bios

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
January 22, 2012 9:29:07 AM

Hi, I just bought a Plextor 128GB SSD and cloned my system drive on it. The cloned SSD could boot my notebook from the external USB connection. However, when I took out the internal hard drive and swapped it with the cloned SSD my notebook could not boot up. In fact, it couldn't even be recognized by the BIOS! Please help! Thanks.
February 5, 2012 2:28:01 AM

It sounds like you didn't clone the MBR. It's still on the HDD.
Btw, it's not a good idea to clone your HDD to your SDD. Windows 7 requires a fresh install on the SSD to function properly. The HDD and the SSD require totally different installations. Read this tutorial and install Win7 fresh to the SSD.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-inst...
m
l
February 5, 2012 5:36:21 PM

^5 +1 what Clutch said.

A fresh clean install of Microsoft Windows 7 is the preferred method.
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2012 5:49:10 PM

But if you Cloned your HDD to the SSD - you can install from the special Partition made from Vendor of your Notebook?
m
l
February 12, 2012 5:51:03 PM

But if the SSD is Not reconized by bios - check for new bios for the Notebook.
m
l
February 12, 2012 7:10:13 PM

The vendor's restore partition is a HDD installation. While it may work (or may not), it's not going to give you the best results.
m
l
February 12, 2012 7:42:58 PM

Using Acronis True Image I was able to install an image of my Dell notebook HDD to a 128 Gb Crucial C300 SSD, MBR, hidden proprietary partitions and all.
I used the Acronis repair disk and an image that I had created on an external HDD.
Alignment is perfect and it works like a champ!
m
l
!