Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core i7 920 overclocking

Last response: in CPUs
March 31, 2010 5:01:41 PM

Hey i just bought a Core i7 920 2.66 ghz processor, and a Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition my question is: Do i need to overclock my cpu or is it fast enought to keep up with the graphic card?

My CPU is running at 37 degress when i'm just sitting on the desktop, and at 46-50 in crysis (is that to hot?) will i need to buy extra cooling to overclock, to let's say 3.2ghz?

I also just bought an Energon 750W powersupply, is this enought to run 5850x2 ?

Thanks in advance.

More about : core 920 overclocking

March 31, 2010 6:29:06 PM

Peddes said:
Hey i just bought a Core i7 920 2.66 ghz processor, and a Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition my question is: Do i need to overclock my cpu or is it fast enought to keep up with the graphic card?

My CPU is running at 37 degress when i'm just sitting on the desktop, and at 46-50 in crysis (is that to hot?) will i need to buy extra cooling to overclock, to let's say 3.2ghz?

I also just bought an Energon 750W powersupply, is this enought to run 5850x2 ?

Thanks in advance.

hi
if u are not into overclocking then i suggest u must wait and dont overclock now because i think currently the processor is more than enough for the current games and stuff. but yeah if u are into encoding and stuff then u can think of overclocking. and as for the psu, i have never heard of this brand. and i dont think it will be that good either. when u go to buy a psu u should chk the following things:
1) amps on +12v rail
2) efficiency
3) Brand
4) wattage

eventhough your psu is 750W but it can be that it does not have enought amps to run the system with radeon 5850x2 and even if it can then due to the quality it might not survive for long. hope i helped.
m
l
March 31, 2010 9:01:37 PM

Yeah you helped a lot. But i thought the PSU i bought was top notch.

PSU: EPS-750W

ATX 12V 2.2
4x 12V Output
Ultra Silten
Supports Sata and PCIe Graphics

1x ATX 20+4pin
1x P4/EPS 12V 4+4pin
6x DVD/HDD Molex 4pin
4x Sata
2x FDD
1x PCIe 6pin
1x PCIe 6+2pin

But your right i can't find it on any other sites that danish (i'm from Denmark)
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 31, 2010 9:16:20 PM

That power supply will NOT power 2x5850's - those cards require 2xPCIe connectors each. You have enough for one card - and thats it...

Its actually kind of weird - 2 x FDD connectors? Really?

a 920 at 50C after playing Crysis with the normal heat sink is fine... Overclocking WILL push you to a better cooling solution however.... you can go to 3.3 pretty easily
March 31, 2010 9:22:55 PM

vvhocare5 said:
That power supply will NOT power 2x5850's - those cards require 2xPCIe connectors each. You have enough for one card - and thats it...

Its actually kind of weird - 2 x FDD connectors? Really?

a 920 at 50C after playing Crysis with the normal heat sink is fine... Overclocking WILL push you to a better cooling solution however.... you can go to 3.3 pretty easily

hi
insufficient connectors arent a problem as he can use 2 4pin molex connectors to pci express power connector. but the fact is that i dont think that the power supply has the juice in it. this is because i remember i bought a 600W psu, a chinese brand, like 5 years ago and at that time 600W was considered as a beast in my hometown. but now if i look at it, it only supplied 20 amps or so which is very bad. so then i got to know that wattage isnt everything. the four things i have said are enough to get u a very good psu in your budget. hope i helped
m
l
March 31, 2010 9:57:42 PM

Best answer selected by Peddes.
m
l
March 31, 2010 9:58:38 PM

Thanks alot for all the good replies. It helped alot.
m
l
!