Can an ati 5870 card be connected to a corsair 450vx power supply?

madamax

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hello,
can an ati 5870 card be connected to a corsair 450vx power supply? i read that the card needs a psu with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors while mine has only one. is there any workaround as i dont want to spend more on a new psu. HELP.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Your 5870 should come with a convertor. Turns 2 4pins into a pcie 6pin.

Your PSU should be able to handle it... but if it was me i'd probably upgrade. You'll be pushing the PSU pretty hard, and the convertor isn't exactly looked 'up' upon.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Agreed, the power supply should be able to handle it and the power connector will work but is not recommended. Corsair is a more than reputable brand so i would not worry about attempting it, most likely it will work, if not, you'll need a new power supply.

If it helps, i had a 400w Corsair power supply pushing a Sapphire 4870 1GB for a while and there were no problems using the adapter.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums newcommer - MADAMAX!

Do that at your own risk - the power rating for the 5870 is 500W minimum stated on the sapphire page. IF your card is underpowered, which WILL happen, then you can kiss the $400 card goodbye.

N.B # I SHOULD get a new PSU :)

Upgrade to a 600W PSU and you'll have headroom for crossfireX or for future grafix cards.

The answer to your question is yes you can connect it to a 450 watt power supply. However, there is a distinct possibility you will experience problems if you are overclocking and/or playing intense games. Personally I would recommend the Corsair VX550. It is a heavy duty unit that can easily deliver its' rated power.

Here are the official power requirements for the new ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

madamax

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks Raidur, that is the answer i was looking for, couldnt find it in any of the forums across the internet

I will probably buy a new psu later however it is good to get an answer finally.

TOMSHARDWARE.COM ROCKS.

madamax

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
i went to legitreviews.com to chk the review of the latest nvidia 480 and they gave the power rating
of ati 5870 as 148 watts at idle and 375 at maximum load and they measured it physically, so i think it should work just fine.

No, that's for the whole system. 5870 has a power consumption of some 200W max and the Corsair 450 VX can easily power your system.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

More, the 450 VX is Seasonic inside and outputs 500W actually. Is the same as the 500 W Seasonic.