Why can't I run four 1GB sticks?

djsprinkle

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I'm having a problem booting up my Biostar A77OE while using all four memory slots. The system just wont boot up if they are all occupied. Three 1GB sticks or two 2GB sticks work fine. I contacted Biostar and they said this was likely a problem with the CPU memory controller. I bought the Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz from Newegg about 3 months ago, it was OEM and no longer covered by them, and it looks like it's not covered by AMD either. 30 day warranty really??

Anyway, I was hoping someone could possibly tell me what the problem really is, or if there is anyway to fix it because I was really counting on using 4 gigs for this setup. Thanks in advance.

On some MOBO's running all four DIMM slots will require a small increase to the memory voltage since running all 4 slots uses a bit more power - and since this is a Biostar MOBO it would not surprise me if that was needed since they do not use the highest quality parts -- so try increasing the RAM voltage slightly (one or two increments) and see if it will boot that way !

djsprinkle

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I tried upping the voltage to 1.95 (oddly 1.9 is the default for this board) this did not help. Then I tried 2.0 and the system wouldn't start at all. I had to clear the cmos to get it running again.