Upgrading old build, budget MAX 650 euros.

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Hi guys!

Im thinking of upgrading my old rig and the main use will be gaming, surfing the web and watching movies. I live in finland and have a max budget of 650€. Im hoping that after this upgrade my rig will run every game on the market and in the future with full settings including full AA and AF. Im hoping it will be futureproof and upgradeable too. I will be overclocking the CPU and GPU to the max and hoping for very overclockable parts :)

Here is my current rig:

*Intel Q6600 @ 3.33Ghz with a zalman cnps9500at cooler.
*MSI i975x Platinum Powerupedition motherboard that is limiting my overclocking :(
*4Gb (2x2Gb) OCZ gold DDR2 800 with 4-4-4-12 latencies
*Club 3D Radeon 4870 512Mb @ 820/1080
*Nexus 500w PSU with dual 12v rails and 17.5 amps per rail total of 35 amps.
*Nexus Breeze case with HORRIBLE airflow ( i must have the side panel off it to maintain low temps)
*Seagate 7200.12 1Tb + Seagate 7200.9 500gb harddrives.
*Samsung superwritemaster DVD drive.

Well guys i think thats it, i hope you can assist me with this upgrade :)

EDIT: sry forgot to mention my monitor, its a benq 19" with 1280x1024 res

mavanhel

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Well, I'm across the sea here in Canadia so don't really know too much about where to buy parts in stuff over where you are, but I'll give you some advice and such.

For what you want to do you should probably look into an i5 setup. Now, assuming that 650 euros won't be enough for an i5 build (I really have no idea, I'm just guessing at things) I would suggest upgrading your case, PSU, and GPU and in the next while save up enough for the CPU, Mobo, and RAM.

Actually, one thing to note: if you do want to build i5 there are definitely a few things you can reuse in this build, namely the GPU, HDDs, and (assuming it's SATA) the OD. The 4870 is still a very powerful GPU, but you'll likely need to upgrade it in the future.

Like I said, since I don't live over there and don't speak Finnish this is about as much as I can help you without having a site to look at. Hope it helps.

Why do you need to upgrade? That GPU should be great at your tiny resolution...

I would first start with a monitor upgrade. The build itself is pretty good already. Get a 1900x monitor, and then you'll probably need to stick in a new GPU. The HD 5850 is great, and will manage everything except Crysis maxed out at 1900x. The 5870 is excellent, and will do what the 5850 can't.

A new case might be in order as well.

So here's what you should look into:

#1: A new monitor. Wait to see how the games perform with your current system.
#2: HD 5850 + a case
OR
HD 5870

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Thx for your very fast responses, well to be honest i myself think this rig is pretty good BUT im a guy who like to play with new toys :D i love to overclock and tweak and such things and this build is just BOOORIIINGG :D and i want dx11 too :)

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
By the time DX11 is mainstreamed there will be a whole new generation of hardware, so buying for DX11 now doesn't really make sense. So far we've seen games take a huge fps hit when running it, so you are probably better off waiting on that. Mad is right, the weakest part of your system is your monitor. Upgrade that first. Then deal with the rest of the system as needed (really all you need is a crossfire 775 board and a second 4870 for crossfire, that will beat the performance of a 5870 and it will cost you about half as much ).... To upgrade your other hardware now is just a waste of money.

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
thx for you suggestion belial2k but if im gonna crossfire 2 4870 ill need a new mobo and psu and i dont want to buy another 775 board because its EOL. this mobo i have only supports crossfire in 8x and that is gonna bottleneck because its not pci-e 2.0.