USB got power not transmitting infomation.

ben BOys

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
Ok here's my situation i have a laptop. Win 7 64 bit all up to date ect. its powerful enough to play napoleon TW ect ect.

When i plug my Laser mouse the laser light comes on so its obviously getting power however the computer doesn't have a clue its there. the same apply's to memory sticks and other components.

i have already uninatsalled reinstalled windows 7, the USB's in device manager, downloads other drivers so this may be a hardwear fault howere this being a laptop its going to be costly and i want to make sure its software first

The only thing you can do is ensure that USB is enabled in the BIOS.

Don't install drivers (In fact, I temporarily disabled the keyboard by installing Logitech combo mouse/keyboard Setpoint drivers for a new mouse and had to remove these Logitech drivers).

Power and Data are two different parts of the USB connector. You can get power but the chip is either defective or not enabled. Again, BIOS is the only thing you can do.

ben BOys

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
well that was radiculus. came back on automatically after shutting my laptop down for the night. maybe it just got tired or maybe some safety thing shut it down to stop it over heating :/. i did check the bios and everything was alright as far as my understaning was. thanks anyway.