Sign in with
Your question

Help with data recovery for external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
January 22, 2012 1:56:37 PM

I have an external hard drive that has important information on it. I was using it with a computer that ran Windows XP. That computer has crashed. I now have a computer that runs Windows 7. It is asking to format the EXTERNAL hard drive, but I do not want to do that because I will lose all my important information on the external hard drive. If anyone has any advice that they could share in helping to solve this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.
a b G Storage
January 22, 2012 5:50:05 PM

Try temporarily booting your computer with another OS using a Live CD (Ubuntu Linux works well). This might allow you to retrieve your data.

If the directory information on your external drive got corrupted, you may need to run a program that can rebuild it. I've heard such programs exist, but I can't recommend any as I've never needed to use one.

If you or someone you know has a copy of SpinRite, run it on your external drive. It may take a while to run, but I've seen it bring back drives that I thought were almost dead.
m
l
June 23, 2014 12:40:50 AM

Onagaleo said:
I have an external hard drive that has important information on it. I was using it with a computer that ran Windows XP. That computer has crashed. I now have a computer that runs Windows 7. It is asking to format the EXTERNAL hard drive, but I do not want to do that because I will lose all my important information on the external hard drive. If anyone has any advice that they could share in helping to solve this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi, I have also encountered the similar problem several days ago. My 500 GB Seagate external hard disk has been working perfectly for several years on my Windows XP computer, but when I connect it to my Windows 7 computer, system asks me to format the disk. Some people told me that my external hard disk is not compatible with the Windows 7 OS. However, the problem is when I reconnect my external hard disk to Windows XP, it still cannot work. Finally, I took my external hard disk to manufacturer and they told me that I need to go to professional data recovery shop to recover data from the external hard disk and then format the external hard disk. I learned that it is expensive to ask help for professional data recovery shop, so I look for free data recovery software online to perform a DIY data recovery. I am lucky because I finally recover about 85% data with the free data recovery software. You can get it from: http://www.icare-recovery.com/disk-drive-recovery/exter...
m
l
!