Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Thought I would just ask for some advice on overclokcing

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
September 17, 2012 5:28:29 PM

I have a sapphire Radeon 7850, I am using MSI Afterburner with MSI Kombustor. How do I use these tools properly? I understand to up the core clock 10MHZ a time, but don't understand how to use the Kombustor, will I be able to see the artifacts easily? Last time I tried to overclock, I whacked up the Core clock and memory up as far as they could go in offical overclocking, saw no artifacts for 5 minutes then got a BSOD, just wondering if anyone can give some advice as I am new to this.

Also last time before the BSOD I managed to get to around about 900mhz on the core.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 5:59:10 PM

is anything else overclocked? i've personally never had a unstable GPU cause a blue screen for me

kombustor is bad with memory errors because it uses very little VRam, i'd suggest playing one of your most GPU intensive games
a c 251 U Graphics card
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 6:01:14 PM

Overclocking when done the right way ill give you a stable high performing video card (or cpu) and it won't afect the life of the part. The key thing with doing overclocking is to be patient and do the overclock in a slow tedious time consuming way which is the way it should be done.
So the combination of Afterburner and Kombuster will accomplish that , you first need to start at stock and add mhz and test and add mhz and test and add mhz and test , untill you see artifacts or distortions or even a bsod. Then you add a small amount of voltage , it would actually be the next available setting in the voltage control and see if that makes it stable , if not then add the next setting and test to see if that makes it stable. If it does then you can start again with adding mhz and testing untill you get to the same artifacts , distortions or bsod and then you add the next voltage setting.Naturally there is a point that you come to where the voltage added will make no difference and at that point you have no choice but to back off on the mhz till you get back to a stable point and that will be your max overclock.
Related resources
September 17, 2012 6:13:22 PM

nna2 said:
is anything else overclocked? i've personally never had a unstable GPU cause a blue screen for me

kombustor is bad with memory errors because it uses very little VRam, i'd suggest playing one of your most GPU intensive games


Nope, this is the thing that needs it, i have a i5 3570k which at the moment is fine as the 7850 bottlenecks it easily.
September 17, 2012 6:15:21 PM

inzone said:
Overclocking when done the right way ill give you a stable high performing video card (or cpu) and it won't afect the life of the part. The key thing with doing overclocking is to be patient and do the overclock in a slow tedious time consuming way which is the way it should be done.
So the combination of Afterburner and Kombuster will accomplish that , you first need to start at stock and add mhz and test and add mhz and test and add mhz and test , untill you see artifacts or distortions or even a bsod. Then you add a small amount of voltage , it would actually be the next available setting in the voltage control and see if that makes it stable , if not then add the next setting and test to see if that makes it stable. If it does then you can start again with adding mhz and testing untill you get to the same artifacts , distortions or bsod and then you add the next voltage setting.Naturally there is a point that you come to where the voltage added will make no difference and at that point you have no choice but to back off on the mhz till you get back to a stable point and that will be your max overclock.


Thanks, but are artifacts easy to see? Also what programs would you use, what settings would you use them on and why?

BTW, I will be gonna for awhile as football is on, be back in afew hours or at half time :)  Many thanks for your help too!
a c 251 U Graphics card
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 6:24:42 PM

Yes the artifacts will be easy to see. The MSI Afterburner should be a good software program to use to put in the settings that you want to run and a good testing software to use is FutureMark and there are several programs from the main one to choose from.

http://www.futuremark.com/

3D Mark is a video card testing program and PcMark will test the whole computer and there are others in the FutureMark testing suite.

http://www.futuremark.com/support/downloads
September 17, 2012 11:31:20 PM

inzone said:
Yes the artifacts will be easy to see. The MSI Afterburner should be a good software program to use to put in the settings that you want to run and a good testing software to use is FutureMark and there are several programs from the main one to choose from.

http://www.futuremark.com/

3D Mark is a video card testing program and PcMark will test the whole computer and there are others in the FutureMark testing suite.

http://www.futuremark.com/support/downloads


Alright thanks, I will download furmark soon. If I don't overheat the card I can't do any damage to it right? I'm pretty sure I can't but thought I would ask :) 
a c 251 U Graphics card
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 11:46:21 PM

It's not furmark , it's FutureMark rhere's a difference. You have the link anyways.
a c 251 U Graphics card
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 11:47:51 PM

In testing you will heat up the card but it's hard to reach the thermal shutdown but you can so be careful.
September 18, 2012 9:38:42 PM

inzone said:
It's not furmark , it's FutureMark rhere's a difference. You have the link anyways.



Oh yeah!! Didn't notice that must of either been tired or just read the first half and instantly thought furmark!
September 18, 2012 9:39:31 PM

inzone said:
In testing you will heat up the card but it's hard to reach the thermal shutdown but you can so be careful.


The 7850 is also a very cool card so wont have to worry too much, but I do check temps :) 
!