$600-$1200 Nongamer, Will use it for memory intensive programs.

quicksetup

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Tomorrow)) BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: $600-$1200) Before / After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (Multitasking, Non gamer, Running memory intensive programs simultaneously)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: ( keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (e.g.: newegg.com, microcenter.com)

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whatever you guys suggest :)

OVERCLOCKING: maybe.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (1920x1080, 1920x1200)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am asking my relative in US to buy the parts for me as they are costlier in my country.

I liked the extreme enthusiast specs but

1. I dont require graphic cards at all Bare minimum would suffice. This is going to be a business, developer PC and

2. I would like to have 12gb of ram.

3. I dont need any bling.

4. 1tb hardisk and i7 920 would be cool.

I have not built computers at all. I know I need harddrive, motherboard, processor, ram.

Microcenter seems to be cheap when compared to newegg but newegg seems to be popular over here. Am I missing something.

Thank you.

Solution
The triple channel means that it's supposed to be used for the LGA 1366 socket boards.

OCZ isn't necessarily inferior, but it's certainly cheaper. Corsair is typically overpriced for the specs.
Microcenter doesn't sell online. You have to go to the store. And they're only really cheaper for Intel CPUs. Plus, Newegg has combo deals making things a lot cheaper, and wider selection.

I'll be using Newegg prices.

CPU: i7-920 $289

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R $200

RAM: G.SKILL PI Series 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 CAS Latency 7 $355

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $90

Case/PSU: Antec Sonata III 500 Black w/ 500W PSU $110

Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $24

GPU: HD 4650 $30 after rebate

Total: $1,198. There may be combos and other deals, but I didn't really look for them.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I like the above build for $1100.

If you need to save a little bit of money you could probably swap the i7 for a cheaper i5 processor and not lose too much performance.

If you need to save a lot of money you could swap the processor/motherboard for a Phenom II X4 build. This would be slower, but a lot cheaper.

+1 Case/PSU is good cheap combo. +1 GPU is a good deal.

I wouldn't step down to an i5/i7-860. You won't save that much, and you'll have less RAM. The i7-920 is also excellent for multitasking.

Things you could do to make it cheaper:

OS: If you're a student (or know one), you can get a big discount on Windows 7. You need an academic email address (ends in .edu).

Mobo: This is a high-end board that has USB 3.0 and SATA III support. Boards without that will be cheaper by $30-50.

Case: There is potential for cheaper case/PSU combos out there. That is just one of the better ones. For example: APEX Vortex 3620 SGCC for $35 and Corsair 400W for $45 after rebate.

quicksetup

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Thank you very much. You guys are awesome. I never thought my query will get so many responses. :D

Since the parts are going to be brought to me by some airtraveller I guess I will skip the case. I will buy it back home. I am trying to reduce the burden for the person who is going to bring these for me.

Also how long does newegg takes to ship products usually?Do they stick to the time they promise on their site.

P.S: I dont require OS. I need a computer that runs like a horse.

There is absolutely no truth behind the statement that the older CPU's are more stable. The i7 is the fastest CPU you can currently buy for a home PC and they are rock solid. A company wouldn't last long if they put out unstable chips. We've seen the damage caused by the original AMD Phenom chips that had the TLB problems. It was an error that very few home users would ever come across, and AMD fixed the problem very quickly, but it tarnished the Phenom name for a long time.

quicksetup

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Finally I am going to get

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0302727 i7 920 $199

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0327331 $219

and 2 of these

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0311100
$179

will it be possible to replace the corsair ram with

2 of the below from ocz.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0322203 $159 ($129 after rebate)

I see that ocz is a triple channel. Does it mean It will not be supported? Also is the ocz inferior to corsair?

Many thanks.

I think you must not have looked at the specs above. He's buying an i7 920 and an X58 motherboard. You want triple channel RAM for this build.

The OCZ RAM will work fine. The reason I suggested the Corsair RAM is because it's CAS 8 vs. CAS 9 for the OCZ RAM. If you're toward the limit on your budget then you could go with the OCZ RAM. The difference won't really even be noticeable in everyday use.

quicksetup

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Hello I have not bought this yet. My guy in the states slacked :( Will but it within 7 days from now.

Can you guys tell me if this build is still up to date and whether there are better replacements for the parts.

I prefer microcenter but if its going t o cheaper at newegg I am all ears.

Thank You :)

Oh well since that is a preety huge budget range something more towards lowest end of that range hehe
luha.jpg