Boot From SATA DVD Drive with Abit AV8

Cahill

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
I am presently rebuilding my old system for my girlfriend just to have. She has purchased a new hard drive and a new case. I'm basically moving my old system to the new case and installing Windows fresh on the new hard drive. The problem is that the IDE DVD drive will not read the Windows 7 disc. I think it is because it is dual layer. Now, I was going to install Windows XP instead and call it a day but I do not have the SATA drivers disk nor do I have a floppy to install them from. I am having quite the dilemma right now. I have taken the dual layer DVD drive from my new machine and put it in the old one but I am not able to boot from the SATA DVD Drive for some reason. Does anyone know if this is possible? I want to be able to boot the Windows 7 disc so I do not have to install the SATA drivers independently and to also be able to reap the benefits of the 64 bit processor. Can anyone help me please?

Cahill

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
The DVD Drive is plugged into SATA 1 on the Mobo. Unfortunately, the DVD Drive does not have jumpers on it so I can not even mess around with that. I guess I will just have to take a look around the basement and see if I have an old floppy drive. It may be harder to find a floppy disk though at this point in time.