Sign in with
Your question

Replacing Socket 939 System (ASUS A8V) - New Build

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2010 6:40:59 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP
BUDGET RANGE: TBD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video, image, sound editing. Serving video, images, music to other machines (AppleTV, laptops, etc.) Office and similar apps. Web surfing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitors, speakers, CDRW/DVDRW, Hard Drives, Case (ATX)

PARTS POSSIBLY REQUIRED: Operating System (XP to Win7?), Power Supply (ThermalTake 480W W0013)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES:
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail ($100)
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail ($110)
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail ($105) Never overclocked memory before? Are these a good choice?

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Dual monitor support at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Current system is noisy, would prefer something quiet. Could mean PSU replacement? Trying to hold my costs down! Can I use my existing Windows XP license? Not sure about memory modules and overclocking.

Thanks so much!
Jeff
January 26, 2010 2:16:21 PM

It's a HTPC server.

The selection is good, but the mobo may not be able to output to 2 monitors at the same time. Try it. If not, pick out a cheap-s passively-cooled GPU for the 2nd monitor.

What other parts are you reusing? What psu make & model?

Get this for quiet cpu cooling. I suspect your current rig is using a load stock cooler. You can also turn on cool-n-quiet & lower cpu fan speed in bios.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
January 26, 2010 3:35:08 PM

Nice preferences, the EVO is a good mobo to choose from.

Might I suggest some tight timed ram picks? O.C.ing ram shouldn't be worth it.

Here some RipJaw's

These have a tight timings and low voltage points. If you were to tighten the G.Skills, you would probably end up raising your voltage which could end up turning the ram in to short lasting ram.

Here's some more low voltage G.Skills.

m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2010 4:01:40 PM

p55ibexpeak - I'm hoping to reuse the ThermalTake PSU (480W - Model W0013).
The MOBO does offer dual monitor support (DMI/VGA) as long as you're not outputting via HDMI.

fullmetall - I went with the aforementioned memory since it was on the MOBO's certified list and many of the reviews on newegg seemed to suggest it. It was also a little cheaper than the 1333 memory and had more/better reviews.

Am I correct that lower voltage and tighter timing = greater stability?

Per ASUS, this RAM demands timing of 9-9-9-24 at 1.5V~1.6V. Is this problematic (sorry for the noob question)?

I also bought an OEM copy of Win7-64bit since I might as well replace XP. Total = $500. Not bad considering a replacement (used) to my A8V would have been $100 without any upgrade.

Thanks again for stopping to read and comment!
Jeff
m
l
January 26, 2010 5:46:08 PM

Yes lower voltage and tighter timing will comitt along with stability and a faster memory process. As you see the ECO series G.SKills are CL:7 with the same amount of voltage usage as or possibly less than the CL:9 and only $19 more. Some Motherboards don't reach the 1.35v mark as what some others were able to reach with the ECO series but, it will handle at the same volts as what memory you were recommended.
m
l
!