Sign in with
Your question

HTPC new build , NO gaming, possible netork storage

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2010 6:46:47 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: whenever I figure out what I want to get
BUDGET RANGE: flexible, dont really need a machine that is overkill for the purpose it will serve

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HTPC - recording TV and playback on living room television, media storage for home network

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard/mouse, case, monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg (United states)

PARTS PREFERENCES: not really tied to a brand

OVERCLOCKING: no, underclock if anything maybe for heat/noise purposes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: currently just 27in Television about 13yo, but may update sometime.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Editing thread, I have decided to rebuild (orignal notes below). I see a lot of htpc threads, but usually people include possibility of gaming with it. This will not have any gaming. Just recording TV and video playback, I currently do not have HD capability I do not believe (see TV above) and right now not super concerned about it. I suppose this also means I am not super concerned about getting Bluray ability yet either, or does it really look much better even on such an old TV

Thinking also of setting it up for network storage of files / media, would this mean I would need windows home server or something other than windows 7?

For my needs, I thought about just getting Tivo, but I dislike the monthly fees, and after getting lifetime subscription with it, I thought I might as well build something more versatile.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
original notes:

main concerns is noise and heat. I have a D-Vine 4 case
Also, I would like to be able to record more than one show at a time, is there a single card that will do two inputs to do this, or would I be better served with 2 cards?

Final thought, I do have a HTPC already (using the above case) that I built several years ago now. I am having space issues (only 300gb drive) is really main reason to make any change, it does function. Also, not sure if it will easily handle another card to record TV or not

MB MSI K8T Neo-FSR socket 754
CPU athlon 64 3200+ (2.2 GHz
GPU Radeon 9200 agp
RAM 512 mb DDR PC2700
HD ~300gb IDE
and
Hauppauge PCI card to record shows.

I thought about just adding more RAM, the MB manual says supports DDR266/333/400 DDR SDRAM for 3 184-pin DDR DIMMS and max memory size of 2GB. Maybe add G.SKILL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory

Also, need to update storage, but would need to change to SATA. The MB manual shows it will support up to 2 sata devices, but at "150MB/s transfer rate". Would getting a new HD at 3GB/s rate work? Would it be worth it at that transfer rate? and if so, do I get lower RPM for noise/heat concerns? Possibly put in a 1TB WD Green drive
January 25, 2010 7:07:35 PM

I have a Dell GX280 for my home server that has a SATA 150 controller. I have 2 750GB SATA 300 WD Green drives running off that controller with no problem.

This might be worth reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#SATA_Revision_2...

I also have a SATA 150 PCI card in that same machine running a WD Green 1.5TB drive. Also, no issues.
m
l
January 25, 2010 7:17:21 PM

Try a NinX Media PC - www.ninx.com . I'd recommend the Premium model.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2010 4:13:37 PM

more thoughts regarding the video capture cards. It looks like Hauppauge only has one card available these days that will fit a PCI slot. That's the WinTV-HVR 1600 http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr1600.htm...

The one I have currently is PVE150 (i think), any idea if these two play nice together since i my current motherboard does not have PCI-E slots?

Are there other brands/options?

@ninx not sure if I want to just buy a box like that, since I do already have a case for it if I decide to to a total rebuild.
m
l
January 27, 2010 12:03:00 AM

my 2 cents says it's time to rebuild. SATA connections alone. You will want to add a new one eventually, or even more. You'll want more RAM and better graphics to deal with HD if you go that direction.
m
l
January 29, 2010 12:03:25 AM

what would be a suggested build if I was to go that route?
m
l
February 11, 2010 11:48:17 PM

I've been reading other HTPC threads on the forum. None of the suggested builds seem to include a TV tuner card. Is this because it is just being left up to the buyer, or is something else on the MB already able to handle the task?
m
l
February 12, 2010 4:07:07 PM

blackjellognomes said:
Max budget?

BUDGET RANGE: flexible, dont really need a machine that is overkill for the purpose it will serve
m
l
!