How do u feel about Athlon II x3 440?

admilitaryman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Here I am again, looking to build another new PC. Here is my last build.

Intel i7 920 processor
Radeon HD 5850
Asus Rampage II extreme
OCZ 2Gx3gb OCZ3P1600LV6GK
Corsair TX 850W
Samsung HD 500G|SAMSUNG HD502H

I'm looking for a PC this time to be future proof like the above build but not quite as powerful. I'm also going to overclock this PC more. This second pc will be used to house a nice 23" dell monitor i already have at a res of 1920x1080, possibly higher, the native res is 2048x1536. I'll play some games but most of which are RPG's and not very graphic intensive. I, however, would like to be able to pop one of the new shooters and try them out. Anyway right now I'm trying to figure out which processor to go with; currently looking at:

AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz

Great price, I've heard you can unlock a fourth core, great o/c ability, and the AM3 socket seems like it might be around a little longer. I can read reviews galore but I'd prefer to hear personal consumer's ideas, let me know what you think!

Solution
It's a nice CPU, but keep in mind that unlocking cores is hit or miss. Only buy a triple core CPU if you can live with only three cores. If you want a quad core, buy a quad core. The AMD Athlon II X4 630 is only $15 more and guarantees four stable cores.
It's a nice CPU, but keep in mind that unlocking cores is hit or miss. Only buy a triple core CPU if you can live with only three cores. If you want a quad core, buy a quad core. The AMD Athlon II X4 630 is only $15 more and guarantees four stable cores.

Solution