Your question

NEW to OC the I7 3770k

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i7
Last response: in Overclocking
September 17, 2012 8:18:54 PM

i am brand new to Overclocking the CPU .. i dont even knw where to start.but have been watching some video on youtube..and i been going from there..just wanted to ask you guys ...what to do and where to start... like what do u do first .. my cpu is i7 3770k my cpu cooler is corsair h100 and my board is asus p8z77 v pro...planning to get 4.6 or 4.7ghz but at the same time i dont want to over do it and fry the cpu.....and get another one..329 for each lol

More about : 3770k

a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 9:41:06 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274821-29-sandy-bridg...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k...

These are two of the stickys that are at the top of this forum and while they are titled for the Sandy Bridge the overclocking process is basicly the same and you can get an overall idea of what to do. This article will also give you some info on the i7-3770k.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-overcloc...

The very first thing that you could do to get your feet wet is to go into the motherboards bios and where it says Cpu level up there should be some options there to select an overclock using the bios preset setings and it will give you an instant safe overclock by just selecting one of the options. If that CPU level up isn't there then it may be under another option , Asus boards are very overclocker friendly and there is usually an option for a preset overclock.
m
l
September 17, 2012 10:43:19 PM

yes...there is an oc safely at 4.4ghz... i want at least 4.7ghz..
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 11:42:48 PM

Can you tell me the difference between 4.4ghz and 4.7ghz other than 4.7hz is higher. To take all the time consuming work and headaches out out doing a manual overclock and getting a stable , tested one click of a button overclock should be a nobrainer. But if that's what you want to do then your entitled to your choice and make sure that you do your research so that you can do it right. You should be looking up what each thing means in the bios so that you'll know if you need to adjust it or not. You will also need to not listen to one person because everybody has a different way of doing things because they all have different levels of experience and do not let someone tell you to just set this setting and that setting and your goo to go. Overclocking is a time consumong tedious process and you need a lot of patience to do a good complete job. There is no quick fix other then the presets in tha motherboard and every cpu will overclock differently so just because someone got 4.8ghz on a certian voltage doesn't mean that you will and you could end up with the ood overclocker and have a nice high overclock without an extreme amount of voltage.
m
l
September 17, 2012 11:51:54 PM

well i just done reading those two thread...and yes it more work then there is to be ...but i want to learn....and do this but also..i dont want to do it wrong either....but for sure i dont touch any of other setting but the v core and if things occure keep bumping up the core voltage and do not exceed 1.520v ....and start at 45x
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 17, 2012 11:56:44 PM

You should not exceed 1.38v in any overclock because if that voltage is run for an extended period of time then you will shorten the life of the cpu. Start at x45 ???
m
l
September 18, 2012 12:20:25 AM

oh boy something wrong ?? dont u haveto adjust your multiplier too ? or i misread something
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
September 18, 2012 12:26:18 AM

Work your way up, though I doubt the H100 can handle an IB OC'ed to 4.7ghz.
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 18, 2012 3:11:58 AM

fsxnoobies said:
oh boy something wrong ?? dont u haveto adjust your multiplier too ? or i misread something

Yes you do have to adjust the multiplier but don't start at 45 , you need to start lower the stock number on the multiplier is 25 so jumping up to 45 is not the slow careful way to go. That's why I had said earlier that it's a slow tedious process and you need to take the time to do it rght. Start at 30 and work your way up. You will come to a point when you need to add a bit of voltage and it's got to be the smallest increment. The objective here is to end up adding the least amount of voltage that you need to run stable when stress testing.
m
l
September 18, 2012 9:39:38 PM

So that mean start at 30 multilplier and 1.25 and when i increase it i adjust 30 to 31 multiplier with 12.6 rigt ???
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 18, 2012 9:49:56 PM

You start at 30x multiplier and stock voltage and you don't touch the voltage untill you absolutly have to.
m
l
September 18, 2012 9:59:53 PM

aahhh make sense....so i start at 30x multiplier and stock voltage... so how do i know when to touch it... and when to change the multipler....that the only part i don get ...
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 18, 2012 11:20:00 PM

Ok , this is a shortened version so that you can get a general idea of how to do it and before you start you need to read up on some articles on overclocking.
You start at the 30x multiplier and you can raise it up two or three numbers and this is the only time you'll be doing this because at these low numbers you will be able to go a ways before touching the voltage but if you do it this way then you'll get used to doing it. After raising it you go into Windows and make sure it's stable , play a game for a few minuits or run a stress test for a few. Then go back to the bios and raise the multiplier another couple andgo into Windows and test stability. Go back to the bios and raise another couple and test again. Now once you reach 40x start doing the raising of the multiplier one number at a time and testing you will continue to do this untill you get to the point where you run into some problems and Windows is unstable then you go into the bios and raise the voltage by the next number and test if still unstable add another notch of voltage and test again. Once Windows is stable again then raise the multiplier another number and test and again keep doing this untill you need voltage to be stable.
This is the process that you should do for the overclock and that's why it's a tedious time consuming process that takes a lot of patience but remember you only have to do it once because when you reach your target overclock your done and you save the overclock settings in a profile in the bios so you'll have it in case the bios has to be reset for some reson you can just load your profile. In the end you'll have a nice stable overclock that you can enjoy.
m
l
September 19, 2012 12:27:00 AM

deal...got it... so it the short version of what you said above

start at 30x ... for example raise it to 32x 33x and play some game ... and stress test ... and if it pass for maybe 15 min... then u go back raise the multiplier up to 35x 36x then test it again ... and keep testing and testing until i got 40x ....then that when i increase multiplier by 1 ..and also continue testing, stressing until i run into proplem or BSOD or something then reboot go into bios and raise the voltage and fine the voltage that stable with the multiplier i just increase and once it stable i start it all over ...with the higher multiplier and voltage until i finally get my target

what happen if i increase it to 39x and it didnt eve reach 40x and window cant boot..
m
l
September 19, 2012 1:22:06 AM

I think you should be able to go to 44x without any issues, in my case the temps were going a bit high, close to 85 deg C on a stress test, I realized the VPLL was high (1.8V), I lowered it to 1.5 (recommended is 1.5-1.8 on air/water), set VCore to Auto and re positioned the front intake fans in my antec P280 chasis from 2 front to 2 mid.
Now I run ~70 degrees in stress test @ full load. I'm using the Noctua Nh-D14, it should be slightly better on your cooler :) 
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 19, 2012 3:30:37 AM

You should turn off any power saving mode and the ones you mentioned.
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 19, 2012 3:31:58 AM

You got to 39x and Windows won't boot?
m
l
September 19, 2012 11:14:38 PM

wait what ??? well i already did an update on bios and now ready for oc ...
m
l
September 19, 2012 11:15:55 PM

what to turn off exactly
m
l
September 20, 2012 12:59:02 AM

asus p8z77 doesnt have multiplier adjust setting..... i have no idea what i do now...
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 20, 2012 2:16:58 AM

What do you mean it doesn't have the multiplier adjust settings , it has to. You go to the AI overclock tuner and select manual that should get you the multiplier.
m
l
September 20, 2012 3:55:55 AM

ok look when i set the ai oc tuner to manual...ok and then it have a cpu ratio.. right ?? but then when i turn the turbo boost off and speed step off it doesnt have the cpu ratio anymore......on top it said target cpu speed 3500ghz...the only thing that i can adjust to raise the cpu speed up is the blck/peg prequency...and that it... there no setting or anything that said multiplier......btw ...bios version is 1504 ...most recent new bios...
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 20, 2012 4:23:44 AM

Ok, well I also have an Asus board and I haven't yet overclocked it as I just finished installing it a few days ago and haven't gotten around to overclocking yet. So next time I shut down I will look in the bios to see what the options are. I know the multiplier is there and there is a way to use it.
Meanwhile Asus does have some pretty good preset overclocks if you want to check out the Cpu level up option. A preset is a built in overclock that has all the correct settings already preconfigured so all you have to do is pick one and save and exit and that's it your overclocked.
m
l
September 20, 2012 4:57:29 AM

yea... welll how do u get to cpu level up option then....cause i dont know....and i dotn have asus turbo v or something..
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 20, 2012 6:02:34 AM

In the bios are you in the EZ mode section or the Advanced mode srction of the bios.
m
l
September 20, 2012 2:16:10 PM

advance mode
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:52:26 PM

i went into the advance mode the ai oc tweaker...that where i cant find a multiplier....

second currently right now i have problem with blue screen of irql not equal or les/pnf list corruppted /memory management .however the reason might cause that is because i put both of my ram stick into the wrong slot ( suppose to be a2 b2 but i put it in a1 b1 ) so therefore i remove and put them in correct spot...and maybe the blue screen occur due to me using window 7 home premium from different computer....lol so i will reformat and install brand new window 7 into my computer and go from there..
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 20, 2012 5:52:43 PM

If you go into the bios and where the cpu ratio is if you select a number in the cpu ratio it turns the turbo off and the speed step so you can ues the cpu ratio and not have interference from those options. I just went in there this morning and it said auto with the turbo and speedstep enabled , as soon as I selected a number in the cpu ratio the turbo and speedstep switched to disbled.
m
l
September 21, 2012 12:15:42 AM

yes....but that cpu option would in advance tab and not ai tweaker ........if i went into advance mode ...then i scroll all the way down and and it also said cpu power management.....i click on there...then it said cpu ratio...then the bottom below that is speed step then turbo boost... right /??? SO U SAY that cpu ratio is the multiplier ??? how come when i enter it and f10 and save and then window boot up and i run cpu-z and the core speed is still 3.510mhz multiplier is 35...it still said it ..it doesnt change... and second the voltage is when u change the cpu voltage option to manual and then enter a voltage number right ?

ps...just make sure we are talking to the same cpu ratio... and second that is the multiplier right ?
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 21, 2012 1:17:24 AM

The cpu ratio that I am referring to is the same that you are and when you look at it and it says auto if you hit the + on the keyboard the auto goes away , the turbo is diabled as well as the speedstep and the first number that you see is 12 and from there you have to go to 25 to get to the stock speed. That is the multiplier and if in the boot process you hit the tab key the bios boot screen will show you the cpu and ram current speeds and regardless of what any Windows program says what you see in the bios boot screen is what you have for a speed.
m
l
September 21, 2012 1:47:13 AM

fsxnoobies said:
yes....but that cpu option would in advance tab and not ai tweaker ........if i went into advance mode ...then i scroll all the way down and and it also said cpu power management.....i click on there...then it said cpu ratio...then the bottom below that is speed step then turbo boost... right /??? SO U SAY that cpu ratio is the multiplier ??? how come when i enter it and f10 and save and then window boot up and i run cpu-z and the core speed is still 3.510mhz multiplier is 35...it still said it ..it doesnt change... and second the voltage is when u change the cpu voltage option to manual and then enter a voltage number right ?

ps...just make sure we are talking to the same cpu ratio... and second that is the multiplier right ?

If you're using windows, it should run the CPU at full speed. Still, check for the power mode, if its set to Balanced or such, it'll automatically control the CPU frequency. Change to performance mode.
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:12:16 AM

Inzone.... There are something that i read somewhere that they told me to change something to high if it 4.0 , change to very high if it 4.4 and change to extreme is 4.7ghz and above.. what is that that i need to change ..
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:18:22 AM

Just make sure... I go to the advance mode then afvance type and go to cpu powermanagement then when i see the cpu ratio i hit + on the key board and i will see 12 so i type 25 ??? ( u mean 35 )and that is the cpu multiplier am i right ...?????
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 21, 2012 5:55:56 AM

fsxnoobies said:
Just make sure... I go to the advance mode then afvance type and go to cpu powermanagement then when i see the cpu ratio i hit + on the key board and i will see 12 so i type 25 ??? ( u mean 35 )and that is the cpu multiplier am i right ...?????

You can either type in a number or keep pressing the +, I had said that 25x was the stock speed and when your overclocking you'll need to go past that number.
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 21, 2012 6:00:26 AM

fsxnoobies said:
Inzone.... There are something that i read somewhere that they told me to change something to high if it 4.0 , change to very high if it 4.4 and change to extreme is 4.7ghz and above.. what is that that i need to change ..

I'm not familiar with that , the only thing that sounds close to that is the term some bios may use for a preset overclock setting.
m
l
September 21, 2012 11:22:07 PM

well i got it up to 4.4ghz and all four core stable for 30 min test... but i shut it down quickcause got go to work..tonight before i go to sleep i test it for the whole night... second i got it to 4.4ghz and the temp with both side panel missing the temp stay at 68,63 but the max is 70c .....it stable 45x too but the icu getting to 80c zone...so i back it down to 4.4ghz...and cooler is h100...
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 22, 2012 12:30:40 AM

Ok if your max temps are it the 70's and your at 4.4 ghz then if the H-100 can keep the heat dissapated and you have a stable overclock after stress testing then you may be good. Your max temps under a full stress test is the highest that you will see because with everyday use you won't get to that max temp. Even if you get into the low 80's at max testing you wont see those temps in everyday use so you might be able to do 4.5 ghz.
m
l
September 22, 2012 5:32:14 AM

well prime 95 testing for about 4 hours now...still temp is below 73c..... and do u think fsx will have it underload 100% fsx = flight simulator 10
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 22, 2012 5:33:27 PM

There isn't anything that will give you 100% load except a stress test , even a game like BF3 which is very demanding won't go to 100% load so that's why I had said that the max temps that you get under stress testing won't be seen for other uses.
m
l
September 23, 2012 3:47:53 AM

Nice ill bump it up to 4.5 then lol
m
l
September 24, 2012 4:54:35 AM

do u think 4.5ghz will be good with max temp at below 70c ?
m
l
September 24, 2012 5:35:16 AM

fsxnoobies said:
do u think 4.5ghz will be good with max temp at below 70c ?

Haha, that'll be great IMO.
I'm getting 72c with 4.4GHz, but its air cooled (NH-D14), ambient 28-31c.
m
l
September 26, 2012 4:54:11 AM

amuffin said:
Work your way up, though I doubt the H100 can handle an IB OC'ed to 4.7ghz.

The H100 can definitely handle 4.7 or 4.9 it's been done on my own machine.
My machine run @ 4.7 24/7.
m
l
!