Jie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Greetings folks!

I didn't see an option for non-homebuilt systems, so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I've built my own systems for years now, but have decided to go with a pre-built Alienware Aurora. I know going home built will save some $, but I'm just not in the groove of PC building at this time. I also really like the look of the Aurora. My plan is to go with components that will give me longevity. My current system has lasted me about four years with a GPU upgrade about 1.5 years ago.

Here's the system:
Alienware Aurora Black with blue LEDs
CPU: i7 920 @ 2.66GHz (I plan on OC'ing at later date, max 2.8-3.0)
RAM: 6GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
GPU: ATI Radeon 5870
HDs: 1 TB Raid 0 (2 x 500GB 7200 RPM drives)
Sound Card: Auzentech Prelude (from my old system)
PSU: 875Watt
Liquid Cooling System for the CPU
MOBO: ATI X58

Look decent for a mid-high range gaming rig?

Thanks!

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

A couple of thoughts...

First, it is tough to comment on the quality of the system without knowing more about the specific parts. For instance, 6GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz doesn't tell us much - without knowing the CAS latency or timings, it's hard to know if you're getting decent RAM. Same goes for the HDD.

Your PSU is probably more than you need, but that may depend if you're planning to go CF at some point. If you're just running a single 5870 (or even a 5890), an 875W PSU is going to be overkill. You could drop down to 750W and be just fine. Speaking of your PSU, that's one area where we would benefit from knowing what make/model it is. If it's a reputable brand that'll provide clean power, then you're set - want to make sure of that.

Any additional info about the MoBo? You say you want longevity, but don't specify whether the MoBo supports USB/SATA 3.0 - a "future proof" MoBo should.

Looking purely at technical specs, this build should suit you fine, but if you can either provide some additional info, that would help me and others to provide more tailored comments. Bottom line, avoid generic parts - pay a little more to make sure that you're getting hardware from a good brand.

Hope that helps a bit, sorry I can't be more specific!

E: Just customized the Aurora based on the specs you gave, and I'm seeing $1650. Is that the price you're paying for this?

I know you mentioned you aren't feeling a home build right now, but AW really doesn't give you a lot of info about the parts you're getting, other than technical specs, and for that price, you should be able to drop in quality hardware. If you can motivate yourself to do your own build, I think you'd benefit overall.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Not going to go through Dell's awful new customization process, but having owned more than one Alienware, I can say that it should have decent quality parts (or they certainly at least used use decent parts before the buyout, not certain now).

However, since you've done builds before, as a cost-saving measure, you might want to consider low-balling the hard drives & RAM, and then putting in your own parts.

That build doesn't look terrible for the price (assuming it's around $1650 as R3dofTed guessed), but as I'm sure you know, you could probably do better on your own.

Jie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks for the replies!

Ok, after getting some great advice here, I've decided to take another approach. I had planned on going with a pre-built system, but have decided to go with my own home built PC again. I'd appreciate some more advice on the items I've listed below.

I'm going to hold onto my Raid 0 (2 x 640GB WD Drives), Corsair 620W PSU, Antec P180 Mini and my Noctua HeatSink.

Here are the items I'm thinking of upgrading too (they'll replace the items below):
CPU: i7 920 @ 2.66GHz (I do plan on doing a modest OC)
Mobo: Asus Rampage II Gene
GPU: Saphire Radeon 5850 1GB or 5870?
RAM: Corsair 6GB DDR3 1600 (7-7-7-20)

My current build is:
Antec Mini P180 - Keep
Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 OC @ 3.2Ghz - Sell
Noctua NH-U12P - Keep?
Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R - Sell
EVGA 280GTX SSC 1GB - Keep
NEC 20WGX2 20.1" Widescreen LCD - Keep
G.Skill 4GB (DDR2 800 (4-4-4-12) - Sell
2 x WD Cavier Black 640GB HDs in Raid 0 - Keep
Corsair HX620w Modular PSU - Keep
Samsung DVD/RW w/ LightScribe, Windows Vista 64-bit - Sell

banthracis

Distinguished
Actually, if you must get a prebuilt comp, go with AVA direct. You can fully customize exactly what parts you want, and they offer the lowest price. Don't bother going through their gaming customizer though, go through desktop customizer which has slightly fewer options, but has a much lower price premium.
http://desktop-computers.avadirect.com/Desktop_Computers/Custom_Desktop_Computers/

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/AVA_Direct
http://www.akron.bbb.org/newsearch2.asp?ComID=02720039000361

Other options that are more expensive include maingear, puget systems and digital storm.

Ibuypower is still kinda sketchy in terms of their warranty and customer support.

just check out their reseller ratings and BBB page and compare with the others I've mentioned.
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/iBUYPOWER
http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/iBuyPowercom-13141649