Delibrately zapping an external hard drive

bowie4881

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I recently purchased an HP external drive. Files stored on drive include sensitive financial information. I contacted HP when this external hard drive stopped functioning, and received a return authorization number . . . and was instructed to return the damaged unit. The financial information might still be accessible, which I want to prevent. How can I delibrately zap this external hard drive? 1/22/12

If the drive is non-functional then the only way to do it is to physically destroy the drive - for example, by drilling holes through the case and platters. Of course when you return the drive HP will probably question it's condition if you do that...

The oft-suggested solution of using a magnet is very unlikely to work. Hard drives already contain a magnet much stronger than anything you're likely to have lying around - it's part of the voice coil actuator for the drive heads. For a magnet do to any damage to the data it's either got to be (a) in physical contact with the platters (which requires opening the drive, and even then it's got to be quite strong), or (b) is something like an MRI that can put out an incredible field strength.

I'd ask HP. They should understand what's going on, and it'll be better to do your physical damage with their blessing. Once they give you the go-ahead, open the drive up and bash the plates. You could drill, but that'd be pretty messy :p