Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bootlooping at windows xp loading screen

Last response: in Motherboards
August 25, 2010 1:10:25 AM

I just finished installing my new motherboard and I went to boot up my computer. I went straight to the bios just to check it out and after enabling the smart fan rpm control, I went ahead and tried to start up windows. this was a motherboard so everything should be working fine as far as RAM CPU and what not. anyways I got to the point where the xp loading bar is on the screen and all of the sudden a blue screen flashes for a fraction of a second and it restarts. I could make out on the blue screen " memory error" or something like that so I took out all dimms but one to see if I had a bad configuration but the loop is still happening.

any ideas?
a c 103 V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 1:48:07 AM

Start by removing all but one module, then try again. Continue to add modules until the BSOD & boot loop problem returns.

Ideally what you are trying to determine here is if the RAM or mobo is bad.

Using MemTest86+ 4.1 couldn't hurt either. Download the disc image (.iso) and burn it to cd. The test runs automatically after you restart the computer with the disc in the drive. Run MT86+ for at least 8 hours.
August 25, 2010 2:27:14 AM

I figured out that its not the RAM. I took a picture of the bsod and its a hard drive error. I figured its not RAM either cause I checked all sticks and unless they're all bad which I highly doubt, then it has to be the hdd. should I try repairing my windows os?
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 3:04:40 AM

So you replaced the MOBO ?? -- If so then you probably need to run a repair install (not the repair console but a repair install) of the OS since the new MOBO will be using different drivers for the chipset etc. - by running a repair install Windows will reexamine the system components and reload all of the system drivers based on the findings of the scan and might fix the problem.
August 25, 2010 3:38:17 AM

just did repair install now I'm stuck on windows loading screen. should I reboot or wait. its been saying please wait... for about fifteen mins
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 3:40:58 AM

I'd wait a bit longer -- depending on the system it can talk quite a while at times !
August 25, 2010 3:49:39 AM

ill check in a few hours. if its still hanging should I try to reboot?
a c 103 V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 8:28:58 PM

Windows XP, in my experience, is not known to take longer than 2 minutes (under normal circumstances) to load. The loading screen is affected by two big contigencies:

1. HDD capcity (or partition size, if you're not using the entire HDD as one partition)
2. RAM can increase the "loading" time if it is failing.

Have you restarted yet?
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 8:35:49 PM

T_T said:
Windows XP, in my experience, is not known to take longer than 2 minutes (under normal circumstances) to load. The loading screen is affected by two big contigencies:

1. HDD capcity (or partition size, if you're not using the entire HDD as one partition)
2. RAM can increase the "loading" time if it is failing.

Have you restarted yet?

No - he is not just restarting the system -- he is doing a Repair installation and the system files and drivers are being reinstalled from the installation CD --- so it taking awhile to perform that part of the repair install is normal and will take much longer than 2 minutes !!
a c 103 V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 8:50:49 PM

JDFan said:
No - he is not just restarting the system -- he is doing a Repair installation and the system files and drivers are being reinstalled from the installation CD --- so it taking awhile to perform that part of the repair install is normal and will take much longer than 2 minutes !!

From what I've read, he's beyond the system repair and at the loading screen. :o 

In XP there is a very thin loading bar that can be hard to notice for those not looking for it. This loading bar is at the bottom of the screen. If there is no movement in this bar, then the system is halted and a restart is necessary.
September 1, 2010 8:30:43 AM

Best answer selected by peskoly.
!