Sign in with
Your question

[ solved ] XP OS loading on a new build

Last response: in Windows XP
August 30, 2012 5:44:59 PM

Hello,
I was just informed of this site by a friend. I am about to fire up my first BYO and wish to load a brand new OEM XP Home SP3 onto the drive. I do not wish to have a 1 TB C: drive. In that effort, I prepartitioned an un named drive of about 50 Gs. Will XP load onto that partition and name it C: and leave me the rest of the HDD to partition as I need later ? I would like to install Win 7 pro for dual booting purposes later.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Edit : MOBO Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
Proc Intel i5-3570K
HDD WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA

More about : solved loading build

August 30, 2012 6:42:02 PM

during the installation of XP you should be able to partition the hard drive and then choose the partition you like to install the OS
m
l
September 2, 2012 4:52:07 PM

Emerald said:
during the installation of XP you should be able to partition the hard drive and then choose the partition you like to install the OS

Thanks for the reply. Came up as you said.

I had already prepartitioned the drive on another puter and it accepted the drive just fine.

I have never built my own and in the process of reimaging other puters I have had different experiences with factory installs. Just wanted to make sure that I didn't end up with a single drive.

Its running fine so far, now I just have to do the import / export of settings from the puter it is replacing.
m
l
!