Sign in with
Your question

Building a new rig

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2010 8:44:38 PM

Hi all
I was wondering on your thoughts of building a system similar to a Tom's Hardware article which I cant find... it was a comparison of E8200, E8400, i5 and an i7 processor on two different boards and 4 video cards and talked about overclocking, which I have no interest in doing.

I recall looking at the option of getting the E8400 with the Radeon HD 4890 card and using either the Asus Rampage (as recomended by the article) or the Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 P43 or even the Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 mobo as the system core components.

I don't think I will have the need to have crossfire for video but the work I will be doing for the majority of the time will be processing RAW image files with occasional gaming and video.

I have no idea if I am on the right path here as the main issue I have with my old P4p800 based system is that its too slow and need to update my system. I am concerned with bottle necking and according to that article it seems those components seem to work really well together and for the price it seems it cant be beat. So yes I am looking for an affordable solution as the E8400 system stated seems to be.

Just wondering what you guys think or have any other recommendations you can add as well. Also do you think I need to get different ram as I think the ram I have is DDR SDRAM 184 Pin DIMMs.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

More about : building rig

January 25, 2010 8:48:38 PM

You should edit your post to include all the information in the "How to ask for new build advice" sticky at the top of the forum. You should not be considering building around components that are already out of date (LGA 775 socket). We can do much better if you provide us with all the information in the sticky mentioned above.

A new build would be built around either an Intel i3, i5, i7, or AMD AM3 CPU with DDR3 RAM.
m
l
January 27, 2010 10:10:22 PM

Sorry maybe then this isn't the correct place to post this. My main thought was getting some input on the article - nov 09, I found it again: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-balanced-plat...

Like I said, my main criteria was stepping up from what I am currently using and wondering the bang for the buck, the comparisons in this article shows that for a budget minded individual like myself, could or might get by with the E8400 option as stated per the article. If there is a better choice for processing raw image files, whether it be with an i3, i5, or i9 cpu and all the newer or current stuff like ddr3, etc then I would love to hear it since I have no idea...ie noob. I thought November 09 stuff was still current.
Thanks and sorry for the bad post.
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2010 10:15:32 PM

Nope, the hardware suggestions in that article are out of date. No new builds should use the LGA 775 socket or DDR2.

You still haven't provided the needed info to help you come up with a build that will suit your needs at your budget. The people in these forums can come up with something a lot better than an old E8400 build.
m
l
January 28, 2010 4:35:17 AM

Ok thanks for the reply. Lets see if I get this right.

I plan on building this computer within a week or so. What I mainly will be doing on it is image processing. For the most part converting RAW image files using Adobe camera raw and applying filters, making corrections using Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Lightroom depending what I need to accomplish. Most of the files are between 70-120MB. Currently I am using xp sp3 but am thinking of upgrading to windows7 64bit. I dont know if its worth it or not since I'm not familiar with why one would choose 64bit over 32. In my downtime, I usually game with racing sims or FPS like prototype, far cry.

I have 3 ATA drives that I wouldn't mind still using even if only for a scratch disk or just use them as back up drives via my current usb external enclosure since what I have seen newer mother boards do not use ata drives. I do currently have two 500GB sata drives, one WD and the other a seagate all 7200rpm. I usually like having my files on a separate drive than the one I use for the system and apps. I have also kicked around the idea of getting another drive to use as a second boot option to boot up a mac osx since my laptop or "location computer" is a mac it would be nice to have my office one dual boot. This is just an idea not really sure I would go through with that although a colleague has done it and its an interesting idea.

What I need is a new mother board, a cpu, video card, and memory. I don't have any preference on brands but if I do go through with making this new computer boot mac osx I know intel cpu would be preferred. I don't see myself over clocking or needing to use SLI or crossfire. Love for it to be as quiet as possible but not a must and I don't know if the Lian Li PC-62 case I have will allow it (http://www.sundialmicro.com/lianli-mid-tower-pc62a_1928...). Also I would love to spend a max of $500 for those four components, ie CPU, motherboard, ram and Video card. If I need to go higher (especially if a new PSU is needed) than so be it but like to keep it low hence me looking into the older E8400 builds. I don't have a preference of where to buy whether it be newegg or amazon or even ebay since I have bought stuff from all those vendors in the past and been happy with them.

I have an old mad dog 550w power supply and will probably assume will need a replacement with the new build since the old computer is well over 5yrs old. Have a new dvd burner sata, logitech keyboard and mouse (usb). My display is a NEC Multisync LCD2090uxi monitor 1600x1200 native res (http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=047...). Very happy with it now but can see an upgrade to a 30inch one within a year/year and a half.

I think that is it and hope I got this right as per the sticky you mentioned. If it helps, my current system is a P4C800 with a P4 2.8ghz cpu, 2GB of DDR ram, nvidia 7800GS video card, 3 ATA drives and 2 sata drives no raid plus at times I can have 2 other external USB drives attached for various occasions. So that is what I am working with now and so you can see how I thought an E8400 system would be a huge step up from what I am currently working with. ;)  Hopefully this post will be helpful for you to suggest components I should be looking at that would suit my criteria.

Thanks.
m
l
January 28, 2010 2:42:53 PM

The reason to choose a 64-bit OS is so that your OS and applications can make full use of 4GB+ of RAM. With a 32-bit OS the system can't use all 4GB of RAM and each application has a 2GB limit.

The type of work that you're wanting to do would really benefit from a quad core CPU. The problem is that your budget is a little low to build a combined work/gaming system since your monitor runs at a pretty high resolution. A 5770 would be the minimum suggested GPU and even it would struggle with some games at medium/high settings at your resolution. A 5850 would be great for your resolution, but they cost almost $300. Here's my suggestions:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $319.98 (Intel i5 750 + Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 combo)

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail $84.99

I know some people might squawk that it's CAS 9, but the price is right and the speed difference won't really be noticeable in everyday use.

POWERCOLOR AX5770 512MD5-H Radeon HD 5770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail $144.99 - $15 promo code VGA12215

I know the above GPU is the 512MB version, but the price is right especially when you take the $15 promo into consideration. That GPU was picked to keep the cost as close to your $500 budget as possible.

Your case should work fine with this build. You could also re-use one of your SATA drives if you need to, but I would format it and install a fresh install of 64-bit Windows 7.

You should really upgrade that cheap PSU to a quality unit. A quality PSU is the key to a stable system. The components above don't use a lot of power, so a quality 500W PSU would easily power the system.

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W $64.99 - $25 MIR
m
l
January 28, 2010 4:36:17 PM

Thanks for your suggestions and the info re: using 64bit OS. I really like the mobo and cpu combo and the prices are ok. As for the GPU why not go with this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which is the 1GB version and only $30 more? Or this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Just wondering and also my $500 budget was a ball park figure to help it be reasonable price to pay for an upgrade IMO.

Any other options?
m
l
January 28, 2010 5:27:02 PM

Yes, of course the 1GB version would be better. I just didn't know if your budget was that flexible. I would go with the second card that's $164.99 - $10 MIR. The cooler on that card is actually better than the one on the more expensive card.

http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=664
m
l
January 30, 2010 3:57:16 AM

Thanks for your help shortstuff_mt
m
l
February 2, 2010 9:39:40 PM

I don't know if that motherboard or any of the other hardware is compatible with OSX. This is not a Hackintosh site, so you'll have to do a Google search or go to one of the Hackintosh sites for recommendations of hardware that is compatible with OSX.
m
l
!