Storage device wrong drive

Tags:
  • DVD RW
  • Storage
  • Devices
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 1, 2010 1:16:34 AM

hooked up a external storage device .. everything was fine drive e dvd rw designation. rebooted with storage deviced hooked up . and reloaded some xp items .. then it switch desigations with my built in drive . so now the built in comes up as the dvd rw drive . even when i delete the software and remove the drive whenever it sees the built in drive it shows up as the external automatically ..

thanks

More about : storage device wrong drive

April 1, 2010 2:11:28 AM

Not sure are you hooking up the drive with USB or eSATA? Please elaborate.
m
l
April 1, 2010 11:07:59 AM

the external drive is hooked up via usb
m
l
Related resources
April 1, 2010 7:22:04 PM

Can you boot into the BIOS menu and tell me what it thinks the hard drive is?
m
l
April 2, 2010 1:19:56 AM

well i was told to use del to boot to the bios but cant seem to have anything come up when i do that .. but i get to the utillity and it has unknow for primary 0 and 1 and cd rom for secondary 0
m
l

Best solution

April 2, 2010 1:36:25 AM

You don't need to use a utility, just press F2 when the Dell logo shows up and it should enter setup, then rotate over to the drives section. If your PC is a Dell they usually have a free 3.5 inch bay were you can install a second hard drive. The unknown is a problem can you go over to maintenance section and tell it to reset to factory settings?
April 3, 2010 8:31:11 PM

ok ill give it a shot.. i was having problems with the computer that is why i bought a external to get the files off before i tried to reload xp or reformat .. .. wanted to get the few important files i have on it off of it .. the rewrite that is in the machine never would write .. lucky to get it to get info off a disc ..
thanks i ll try to go to defaults
hey how do i use the ethernet to usb cable to get the info off if i cant fix the drive issue ?
m
l
April 3, 2010 11:25:21 PM

I would say plug it in, otherwise I would hope your Dell is a model that came after Dimension because those come with a backup sytem restore partition.
m
l
April 4, 2010 8:17:17 AM

great thanks for your help ..
m
l
April 14, 2010 10:27:07 PM

Best answer selected by maf9016.
m
l