Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GT220 Driver disappears

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 19, 2010 12:12:24 PM

I'm running WinXP sp3 in an Athlon Dualcore 64 machine. Everything is fine apart from the fact that I have to update my GT220 driver everytime I start up, because when powering up I discover that the driver has "detached" itself from the card. So I 'update' it again and then everything's fine - until the next morning. While it's running it's brilliant, and so's the PC (4Gig of RAM). Any ideas? Power supply has been upgraded to 700w ATX unit that has Nvidia SLI-friendly technology in it...
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2010 1:01:21 PM

vostok65 said:
I'm running WinXP sp3 in an Athlon Dualcore 64 machine. Everything is fine apart from the fact that I have to update my GT220 driver everytime I start up, because when powering up I discover that the driver has "detached" itself from the card. So I 'update' it again and then everything's fine - until the next morning. While it's running it's brilliant, and so's the PC (4Gig of RAM). Any ideas? Power supply has been upgraded to 700w ATX unit that has Nvidia SLI-friendly technology in it...


Do you use the default driver Windows gave you? If yes go to the nVidia website and download the current driver for your card.
January 20, 2010 11:41:04 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
Do you use the default driver Windows gave you? If yes go to the nVidia website and download the current driver for your card.


i've tried both drivers for the card - there's only two at the moment. However, I may have come across the issue. It seems that the Nvidia card GT220 supports DirectX 10, whereas XP only supports up to DirectX 9. This may have something to do with it. I have got my screen resolution back after some uninstalling of sound treatment programs (because the Nvidia uploads it's own audio stuff) to eliminate the possibility of a clash there that might knock on to the display part of the program.

I also noticed that although the tabs had dissappeared in the display window of control panel, I noticed that by cliking on a different windows format (XP to Classic for example), I hit 'apply' and the tabs magically appear! This happens everytime you choose to change a windows appearance format. Whilst the tabs were present, I naturally went to 'settings' and was able to alter my screen resolution and hit 'apply'.

I do not know if it will stay there after I power down, but I noticed that the Nvidia desktop manager became active after this. I can alter desktop and appearance etc etc from either the Nvidia manager or the XP's own display properties. But therein lies the problem I think: The program is arguing with the system. The only alternative I have is to format C: drive completely and get Win7, which I believe will match and exceed the DirectX requirements of current Nvidia cards. We'll see..! I hope this is helpful to someone, and thanks HD.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2010 11:45:08 AM

vostok65 said:
i've tried both drivers for the card - there's only two at the moment. However, I may have come across the issue. It seems that the Nvidia card GT220 supports DirectX 10, whereas XP only supports up to DirectX 9. This may have something to do with it. I have got my screen resolution back after some uninstalling of sound treatment programs (because the Nvidia uploads it's own audio stuff) to eliminate the possibility of a clash there that might knock on to the display part of the program.

I also noticed that although the tabs had dissappeared in the display window of control panel, I noticed that by cliking on a different windows format (XP to Classic for example), I hit 'apply' and the tabs magically appear! This happens everytime you choose to change a windows appearance format. Whilst the tabs were present, I naturally went to 'settings' and was able to alter my screen resolution and hit 'apply'.

I do not know if it will stay there after I power down, but I noticed that the Nvidia desktop manager became active after this. I can alter desktop and appearance etc etc from either the Nvidia manager or the XP's own display properties. But therein lies the problem I think: The program is arguing with the system. The only alternative I have is to format C: drive completely and get Win7, which I believe will match and exceed the DirectX requirements of current Nvidia cards. We'll see..! I hope this is helpful to someone, and thanks HD.


DirectX version has nothing to do with your problem. The card supports Dx10, but also Dx9 so that excludes it as part of the problem.
January 20, 2010 11:56:10 AM

hallowed_dragon said:
DirectX version has nothing to do with your problem. The card supports Dx10, but also Dx9 so that excludes it as part of the problem.


Ok. But for now I daren't switch off as I'm enjoying max rez here! I have trawled through a great deal of stuff and been thorough with the PC; everything checks out and it's as clean as a whistle (I don't game or anything - this is a small work-from-home PC that is used mainly for image editing). I'm certain hardware all checks out and windows appears to be operating ok. Maybe it is just age?
Incidentally, I rolled back from SP3 because after installing it I couldn't get the rez back at all. I was previoulsy on SP2. I rolled back to SP2 to get the screen display back - which I have. I'll let XP update naturally and we'll see how things go.
!