Sign in with
Your question

Looking for Zalman Royal Blue Sray Paint and Painting Tips!

Last response: in Components
April 1, 2010 1:35:45 AM

So the time has come where my current setup is not appealing to me anymore, and instead of taking the logical way out and buying new hardware, I am deciding to buy some badass blue heatsinks and spreaders and all sorts of good things from Zalman. It'll cost me $150 for a CPU cooler, VGA Cooler, SB Cooler, and HDD Cooler all in Zalman's noteworthy royal blue. Not a bad deal for some performance boost, quietness and overall great looking.

I have never modded a case before...and I want to spray paint select interior parts the amazing Zalman blue. (Ie the DVD Drive case, the HDD Rack and other things) What brand of spray paint does everyone use? What type of spray paint? What is the general process?

I am thinking:

Rough Sand
Prime
Fine Sand
Base Coat 1
Fine Sand
Base coat 2
Base coat 3
Fine Sand
Clear Coat 1
Clear Coat 2

Do you sand in between coats using spray paint? I was thought something like that when I was younger.

Thanks for any advice.
a b ) Power supply
April 1, 2010 1:52:40 AM

If you want an exact match you will need to take a sample down to the paint store. They will then mix something, which you would apply using a conventional air sprayer.

Otherwise you are just talking about cans of spray paint, which won't be quite as close a match.

You won't need to go to those extremes with smaller parts, as minor imperfections won't show. I would only do that many coats on something like a case exterior... even an interior case job wouldn't need quite so much.

You will want to paint with screws in screw holes and any other part that does not need paint carefully masked.

Your blue Zalman heatsinks are probably anodized aluminum, not paint btw.
m
l
April 1, 2010 2:00:07 AM

Proximon said:
If you want an exact match you will need to take a sample down to the paint store. They will then mix something, which you would apply using a conventional air sprayer.

Otherwise you are just talking about cans of spray paint, which won't be quite as close a match.

You won't need to go to those extremes with smaller parts, as minor imperfections won't show. I would only do that many coats on something like a case exterior... even an interior case job wouldn't need quite so much.

You will want to paint with screws in screw holes and any other part that does not need paint carefully masked.

Your blue Zalman heatsinks are probably anodized aluminum, not paint btw.

Oh yes they are not painted true, but I wanted to see if I could get close to the color. My motherboard sports heatsinks very close the the color of the Zalman's (ASUS Evo), and my memory is also almost an exact match.

I may go down to the Home Depot and see if they can mix me something. I would have to use an air compressor to spray or a spray gun?

Does anyone know how to make a speckled finish, anodized looking?

Thanks for your answers.
m
l
!