Noctua NH-D14 LGA 1155 Cooler with PWM fans?

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Hello,

I've read around that Noctua finally released PWM variants of their NF-NP12 and NF-NP14 fans. From what I understand, only the NF-NP12 PWM is available for retail purchase with the NP14 PWM only available with the NH-D14 cooler.

Does anyone know if their current NH-D14 coolers (LGA 1115/6 variant) come with the PWM fans in the box? If so, are there any Canadian vendors (I haven't been able to find any as of yet)?

I've only seen the SE2011 kit come with the PWM fans right out of the box - it'd be a shame if the other kit doesn't have it too!

Cheers,

-s

EDIT: I should mention I intend to pair this combination with an Asus Maximus V Formula motherboard (which unfortunately doesn't support 3-pin CPU fans in their Fan Xpert II software.

Solution
The bracket would be much cheaper then fans , probably $10 or less. The plate may be a bit larger but as long as the center of the cpu is covered it will be ok since that's where the processor cores are located. It wouldn't matter if there was a little overhang.

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Yeah, I thought so. That's too bad really...

Yep, I know it will run at full speed - I'm just curious to see how much noise this actually produces though. Seems a little overkill to have them running at full speeds all the time - especially during idle periods.

I've heard that they are very quiet fans regardless, but damn it would be great if they had PWM fans for this variant.

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Yeah, it seems that way - hopefully its soon because I'm buying my components in the next few week or so for a new build!

I don't know your budget but an option is to get the Noctua D14 and then get replacement fans that are PWM , seems like the fans will swap out pretty easy they are not held in by screws but by metal spring clips which look pretty easy to unhook.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608026

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233096

Both of these are PWM fans and you could replace the stock fans with these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123298

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

That's an option, but realistically, spending ~$60 to upgrade the fans on a $75 cooler isn't worth it in my opinion.

Budget isn't too much of a concern as I've been waiting for an insanely long time to upgrade (I have a Core2 Duo E6600 at the moment... yeah). However, I'd like to spend money where it makes sense - and this just simply isn't good value.

I actually emailed Noctua support directly and they acknowledged that the LGA1155/6 variant doesn't come with the PWM fans at the moment - still waiting to hear back as to when it may become available.

They did say that you could purchase the SE2011 model and then simply buy the mounting kit separately (NM-I3) to use for LGA1155/6 sockets. I'll have to look into this though, because I was under the impression that the SE2011 cooler had a bigger contact plate to support the larger processors. If it can be done, then I may just do that.

The bracket would be much cheaper then fans , probably $10 or less. The plate may be a bit larger but as long as the center of the cpu is covered it will be ok since that's where the processor cores are located. It wouldn't matter if there was a little overhang.

Solution

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Okay - so I contacted Noctua support about this and here's what they had to say: The cooler is the exact same (dimensions are identical for the SE2011 model and the LGA1155/6 version.

I guess it really does make sense just to buy the bracket - which is what I'll do if I can find a Canadian vendor! Seems like both Newegg and NCIX have discontinued them so I'm trying to see if Noctua will be kind enough to send me a set :p

If anyone knows of any Canadian retailers that sell the NM-I3 mounting kit, please do share! (US Retailers are fine too, but I'd rather not pay an exorbitant amount of money to ship a $10 kit)

evilqueens

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Update:

So here's some good news! Noctua got back to me and since no Canadian vendors have the kit in stock, they're sending one to me for free! That's some quality support right there.

+1 Noctua
+1 Me

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.