H55 reserved memory problem

hqxriven

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Intel i5-750 Gigabyte ga-h55m s2hp, F3 and F4 (latest BIOS)
XFX GTS 250 1GB
XFX 750W PSU
4GB of GEIL (2x2GB DIMMs) - rated DDR3 1333 1.5v

Tested with value Kingston and Coursair and the problem persist

I bought a motherboard ga-h55m-s2hp and unfortunately she is not using the full 4 Gb system perfectly in a 64-bit only 3.8 GB

Memtest does not accuse errors

I'm using the i5 750 and a video card offboard and the bios continues reserving memory even with video offboard.

In the bios detecting 4Gb is made, but upon entering the system 64-bit operating it incorrectly reserve memory.

The problem I have occurs in other motherboards from gigabyte with other users

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/39790-possible-use-full-4gb-ga-h55m-ud2h.html

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18102404

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2535.0.html

This decreased my performance since it does not i use the full 4 Gb of dual channel only 3.8

Test all the hardware with other ga-h55m-s2hp and the problems persisted

Test all the hardware with another motherboard (ASUS) and no problems and pins are no problem, which demonstrates that there is a defect manufacture this motherboard or bios.

This can not be normal. This is a failure.

Possibly a flaw that was not observed in tests and can be fixed by a bios update.

Note well the "Activates the onboard graphics only if no PCI Express graphics card is installed"

And still reserving memory for activation, the problem is here.

My processor is an i5 750 and it has no VGA on it.

So my question is:

It is normal for H55 chipset you have memory allocation to force even if you use a VGA offboard and do not use the onboard VGA and disable the onboard VGA in the bios or is it a fault of the manufacturer? (Gigabyte)

You guys that have a motherboard chipset with H55 can use the full 4 Gb?

Sorry for bad English.

Solution
i got MSI MSI H55M-ED55, i3 540 CPU, Wintec 4Gb(2x2Gb) ddr3 1333, GTS 250 and win 7 x64. Im having same exact issue. 137Mb of ram appear as "hardware reserved"

Untitled-1.png

In fact i even contacted intel to make sure that this is not normal behavior for h55/57 chipset and they clearly stated that its NOT normal. There was same exact issue with Gigabyte p55a-ud3 motherboards ant it was fixed with bios update. However in my case i am running latest bios, and contacting msi gave no result cause they simply deny existence of the problem saying that its ok like that.

hqxriven

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Its normal because it reserves your on-board VGA memory,therefore your whole RAM isn't recognized, if you disable the on-board VGA nad use a discrete card then your 4GB RAM should be fully recognized.

I had the same issue, and I had discrete GPU, I think it is a bios issue, and its odd that they haven't issued a fix. Live with it or get a different motherboard.

That was what I needed to know ...

Thanks

bilbat

Splendid
This is entirely normal:
0287k.jpg

Large numbers of physical devices communicate with the processor through mapped memory locations; if you open Device Manager, and look at "View Resorces by Type", under Memory, you will see the list of culprits:
0288.jpg

ekg84

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
i got MSI MSI H55M-ED55, i3 540 CPU, Wintec 4Gb(2x2Gb) ddr3 1333, GTS 250 and win 7 x64. Im having same exact issue. 137Mb of ram appear as "hardware reserved"

Untitled-1.png

In fact i even contacted intel to make sure that this is not normal behavior for h55/57 chipset and they clearly stated that its NOT normal. There was same exact issue with Gigabyte p55a-ud3 motherboards ant it was fixed with bios update. However in my case i am running latest bios, and contacting msi gave no result cause they simply deny existence of the problem saying that its ok like that.

Solution