Sign in with
Your question
Solved

LGA 1156 + triple channel DDR3?

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 3:35:15 AM

I'm aiming for a Video Editing system on a $1000 budget; settled on an i5-760 quad core. To get the most out of DDR3 memory, I've found one should use matched triples. But, I can't find a triple channel DDR3 LGA1156 mobo. (a) and I correct here or are matched DDR3 doubles just as fast?
and (b) are there any triple channel DDR3 LGA1156 mobo's out there? Would prefer Asus.
August 25, 2010 4:02:48 AM

There are no triple channel 1156 boards

but you could run 4 dimms in double channel mode

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 4:43:24 AM

As above said triple channel memory is not compatible with P55. You would have to go with X58 to get it, however there are barely any performance increases with it for anything. There is no Video Editing (I think) but it is still relevant:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Intel-Core-i7-Nehalem,rev...

From this it looks like you should not go with an X58 system. However lets look at some performance charts:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-cha...

From this you can see that the i5 750 gets eat by the i7s and the X6s. So what should go with? As you can see the i7s are really powerful however they are also expensive. However take a look at the 1055T it delivers a massive performance increase over the i5 750 yet the build should be similar in price. The i7s increase in performance over it is not high and I'd say not worth the extra money.

Also AM3 will have support for AMDs Bulldozer CPUs, so upgrading would be as simple as smacking in another CPU. Contrary to Intel where they are discontinuing X58.

Conclusion: Get an X6 1055T instead of the i5.

Hope that helps.
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 135 V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 10:38:18 AM

i5 performs pretty much like an i7 920(a little slower),so it performs well and has a good OC'ng potential too.
However you have to use go with a dual-channel configuration because socket 1156 doesn't support triple--channel memory.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 11:21:28 AM

Thanks, folks. I'd missed the chart that the punkinator linked & didn't realize how much boost the 1055T's two extra cores give. Cool. So what's the best mobo for the 1055T? Is it the MSI 890FX-GD70 or an ASUS board? Still assuming triple-banked triple channel DDR3 is the best performance for the memory.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 11:21:42 AM

Best answer selected by mrxtremities.
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 11:41:37 AM

Hey thanks for the BA.

That motherboard is for high end machines, for lots of big graphics cards and stuff. Thus it is not required for your, or most peoples needs. So I'd say just go with an 880G.

AMD doesn't use triple channel memory so if you run 3 DIMMs then it will run in single channel. If you want more memory, it would be best to get 8GB but I'm not sure if you'd need that much...

Hope that clears some stuff up.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 12:05:01 PM

"AMD doesn't use triple channel memory so if you run 3 DIMMs then it will run in single channel. If you want more memory, it would be best to get 8GB but I'm not sure if you'd need that much..."

Looks like the triple DDR3 isn't going to happen then; the 1055T apparently kicks the i7 without it. As for the volume, a lot of video editor folks recommend 12GB! Thanks again.
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 12:16:14 PM

I wouldn't say "kicks its ass", for value it generally would though. Ahh thought video editing was a RAM user, however how high end are you at video editing? Do you think you would be requiring that much? If you wanted the option you would have to go with 4GB DIMMs as there are only 4 slots.

You going with the 880G? You just didn't say so I thought I might have to convince you a bit more...
!