Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Going back to one hardrive

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2012 12:37:03 AM

Hello everyone

Recently I had experience some kind of weird problems with my computer. I was thinking of reformating but suddenly my computer had the bluescreen and decided that I need to format in order to use my computer again I guess.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/34765-63-computer-fre...

My question is when I got to the harddrive selection screen I only see one harddrive I can select. This never happen before but I guess my SSD died on me. Whatever thats fine atleast one of my harddrives work. I just need to figure out how to resetup it up again. Its been a long time. Here is a thread when I was asking for help when I was setuping up for 2 harddrives to get idea what setup I have. ---> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

I just want to be able to configure this one and remove this message.

More about : back hardrive

January 23, 2012 12:44:23 AM

also I have my motherboard set to AHCI not IDE . Do I need to set it back to IDE with my regular harddrive?
Score

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 23, 2012 2:02:56 AM

remove the ssd and set the system back to ide ... after the install try reconnecting the ssd and see if its actualy broken or just corrupted. if a virus cased your issue in the first place then you may want a different av than the 1 you normaly use as its obviously missed an infection...

is your ssd showing up in bios? if not then you can be pretty sure it needs to go back to the shop for testing or replacement.
Related resources
January 23, 2012 2:11:59 AM

Un seat and re seat all connections. Then check bios. Format had and install windows normally.
Score
January 23, 2012 9:05:52 AM

HEXiT said:
remove the ssd and set the system back to ide ... after the install try reconnecting the ssd and see if its actualy broken or just corrupted. if a virus cased your issue in the first place then you may want a different av than the 1 you normaly use as its obviously missed an infection...

is your ssd showing up in bios? if not then you can be pretty sure it needs to go back to the shop for testing or replacement.

Thanks for the quick reply. I do not have to change any settings in bios for it to read my regular harddrive after I plug it in with what my SSD had? I remember changing it to AHCI from IDE I was wondering if I needed to switch back or not. I did not check if my ssd shown up in bios yet. I am going to start working on t his computer after my class today hopefully. Yes I agree the antivirus am currently using "microsoft essential security software" may not be all that great but I do not know many free security software. I did install spy bot to see if it did miss any viruses but nothing shown up before my computer crash on me.
Anyways I am going to do what I can after class and hope the computer works once I set windows 7 to the regular harddrive.
Score
January 23, 2012 2:24:36 PM

I am back but I am still unsure about the ACHI from IDE or whatever can someone help me?
Score
January 23, 2012 4:32:06 PM

Well I went ahead uninstall my SSD and plug in my harddrive. I used my window 7 disc to format the regular harddrive. Started to install seem like it was going well but this picture pop up.

Not sure why this happen...does it mean my current harddrive not good to use anymore? did I install incorrectly? When I installed the error message did not pop anymore like the picture I posted previous. :cry: 
completely confused
Score
a c 289 G Storage
January 23, 2012 5:55:45 PM

Could be a lot of things, but it "smells" like a problem with the controller. Disk one doesn't work in it, disk two doesn't work in it, ....

Any possibility that putting in a new cable, or switching to a different SATA port on the motherboard, would relieve the problem?
Score
January 24, 2012 4:04:57 AM

WyomingKnott said:
Could be a lot of things, but it "smells" like a problem with the controller. Disk one doesn't work in it, disk two doesn't work in it, ....

Any possibility that putting in a new cable, or switching to a different SATA port on the motherboard, would relieve the problem?

Just did and I got window 7 to work through after formating ( I used the wrong disc) I was able to get into window 7 but my internet went down in my area for several hours couldn't install updates but my computer was technically on during this time and did not freeze on me like it did before formating. I will let you know if I run into any issues
Score
January 24, 2012 5:56:33 AM

Well reinstall and setting up window is a success but I am not sure how well my harddrive is working is working at optimal speed because of what I mention earlier about motherboard settings. Can anyone help or suggestion proper settings I could switch my harddrive back on? Because it feels like my computer loads oddly too much and some videos stop randomly.
Score
January 30, 2012 11:32:47 PM

Best answer selected by hashio.
Score
January 31, 2012 12:49:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!