Radeon 4870 512mb

moopato

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hey guys, I recently put together my own system, and ran many tests and benchmarks. I passed memtest, passed prime95, and I also have coretemp installed to monitor my cpu temps, which are stable. For the first few days after finishing tests and benchmarks, I had been playing Modern Warfare 2 online completely maxed out( wthout vsync), and my FPS stayed at 91 no matter what was going on. It would never budge. For some reason it is now dropping randomly and the game lags depending on whats going on. The fps drops all the way down to 60 sometimes. I tried reinstalling the driver, running catalyst at default settings, pretty much everything i could think of. I also tried resetting the BIOS to optimized defaults which did nothing.

I really need some help here.

thanks guys

Turn on Vsync and be done with it. The COD engine can get choppy on most cards without Vsync on. If your display has a refresh rate of 60Hz, there is no need to get more than 60FPS. Vsync will lock it to 60FPS and will run smooth as butter.

Are you playing online? Slow Host? Slow internet connection? wireless?

Also, I believe I found that when you change certain settings in MW2 they don't really take effect until you close the game and reopen. I you increased a setting and then played immediately after the settings did not change. Just a thought.

moopato

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hell no, in campaign It's always reallly smooth and i can get way over 100 fps sometimes. The toughest scenes and mission will sometimes drop the fps to about 35 for a second or two, but thats it. Judging by my system specs, could you give me your opinion on my benchmark scores?

On 3dmark06 I scrored 16,500 points.
on the new 3dmarkvantage i got about P10500

This good?

What does the rest of your system look like? Those look normal to me for a 4870.

Yes it is normal to dip like that with Vsync off. That is why I would turn it on. It keeps a constant 60FPS unless it is really hurting and may dip to 30. Try Vsync. Butm yes you will get some strange lag in multiplayer. I get the funky glitching when the host is slow or when your screen goes bizzerk and you can't move and the screen flies all over. They made a bad move going without dedicated servers. But they don't care, you bought it alone with everyone else. I got it from BestBuy for $30 on a misprinted ad, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

moopato

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Okay thanks for your reasurances. I uninstalled catalyst and reinstalled, which seemed to help a bit for some reason. Do you think that alot of people's fps drops online because of lag? I don't really see why connection lag makes my fps drop but oh well.

I'm on a phenom x4 955 BE running at 3.4ghz. With this in mind, are my scores good?

The connection lag causes the game itself to freeze and slowdown. This causes you video card to not need to process and change frames, so the FPS drops. It isn't your video cards fault, it is the game and the lag to the host.

Because Activision sucks and decided to partner with STEAM in order to contol licensing and what not. Also, because MW2 is a direct port form the console, they didn't even add their own friend interface and such. STEAM is sort of like X-Box live in that it is what controls the administration of things. It also installs in the STEAM folder. And if you uninstall STEAM, ALL of your Steam games are uninstalled to. Just an FYI, I did this and lost my MW2 profile. Good thing I do a backup of the Players folder. MW2 is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE game. Everyone expected alot from it for the PC, expecially because COD4 was a big hit. But its the same 3 year old engine, but without dedicated servers and all the PC goodies. Oh and wait, all the 16 year old can use the same aimbot to(no offense)! Losers have to cheat to win. Sorry I'm a little bitter about that. 25 kills to get a nuke and you have people getting 50:2 kill/death ratios. I dont think so.

^
HAHA that is why I stopped playing, it was horrible at times, plus there is no prestige mode, so i was at level 70 and gold weapons, with no where to go. It's the same engine, so they use the same hacks. Granted, someone smart created the hacks, and everyone stupid uses them. I wouldn't enjoy winning if I just saw everyone on the map and could pick them off without effort.

no recoil? is that some other exploit? I don't know because I don't read into it, as I want to play the game as it is. I like that you can at least watch the kill shot and say "ok so I was behind a mountain, with cold blooded and ninja, but he tracked me until I stuck my nose out and he pegged me off and immediately killed someone else." I like to think I am pretty good, and most times I am within the top 5 in the game, but i can tell when someone is hacking the game. If I get angry I switch to my L86 LSW with grip and holographic site, marathon, deep impact, and steady aim. If I am NOT killing left and right, something is wrong. I also like how they can magically see me without cold blooded from the AC130? boggles me.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

I am running a 710x3 at daily 3.4ghz, and an overclocked 4870 512mb (all specs in sig) and my 3Dmark06 score is just a hair over 16k, and my vanatge comes in at just over P9900. I would think, since your 4870 isn't overclocked, you are right on course.

moopato

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Well I actually overclocked mine at 780/1085 and I got those scores. Maybe it's because i'm on the stock hsf? My Ram is also 1333mhz, so I dont see how you're scoring that high.

I had mine to 820/1050/ The 4870 can usually do 800 on the GPU all around.

The reference cooler it the big red cooler that comes from ATI. Looks like this, but probably with a different sticker. The reference coolers usually don't cooler as well as some of the aftermarket stuff.

07RV770.jpg