Sign in with
Your question

New build help plz!

Last response: in Systems
January 25, 2010 10:47:44 PM

I'm midway through my new system build and am attempting to install the fans to the heatsink and am having problems.

I have a Prolimatech Magehalems Rev. B heatsink and bought 2x Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 fans for it.

These fans are 38 mm wide and only came with screws. The fan clips that came with the heatsink dont reach the end of the fan.

Are these fans to wide to use with the Megahalems? Are they meant to be something else like a case fan?

Sorry if this is dumb, I'm new to this.

Fans url:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6441/fan-378/Scythe_U...

More about : build plz

January 25, 2010 11:04:07 PM

I think I realized what was wrong, the clips are for a 25 mm fan. I believe I need to buy clips that will fit a 38mm fan ?

Also I installed the heatsink in suck a way that the air will blow through it up to the top of the case which is a HAF 922 and has a top mounted fan sucking air out.

I looked on the website and it said that the heatsink should be mounted facing the back of the case.

Does it make a difference that I mounted it the other way facing the top of the case instead of the back? Will it make a difference?

thanks!

ps: is it a bad idea to try to bend the 25 mm clips and rig the 38mm fan to fit or should I just wait, not overclock now, and find some 38 mm fan clips?
January 25, 2010 11:05:55 PM

presse1 said:

These fans are 38 mm wide

"Standard" fans are 25mm thick. If you get those they will fit.
Related resources
January 25, 2010 11:07:39 PM

fafner said:
"Standard" fans are 25mm thick. If you get those they will fit.

thanks !

I'm thinking I might remove the 25 mm thick fan that came on the back of the HAF 922, attach it to the heatsink, and then take the 38mm fan and put it where the 25 mm fan was.
January 25, 2010 11:17:14 PM

presse1 said:
thanks !

I'm thinking I might remove the 25 mm thick fan that came on the back of the HAF 922, attach it to the heatsink, and then take the 38mm fan and put it where the 25 mm fan was.

Yeah, that should work. Also it doesn't matter much which way your heatsink face since you have both a top and a back exhaust fan.

However, if I were you I would exchange the 38mm fans for something else if you still can. They spin at 3000rpm and are gonna be noisy as hell.
!