Sign in with
Your question

How to Overclock New IVY Bridge Processor along with RAM???

Last response: in Overclocking
September 18, 2012 4:06:44 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm new to I Series processor overclocking.

I have Core 2 Duo CPU with 800MHz RAM, Which I used to over clock as Linked. I mean to if overclock CPU's FSB 800 to 900 along with RAM's 800MHz to 900(Without raising voltage), It automatically raises its clock speed. I was sure that i'm utilizing my overclocked CPU along with overclocked RAM. I mean, if i overclock my CPU's FSB without raising RAM's Frequency (or increase RAM's Frequency without raising CPU's FSB,,,I mean Unlinked), it does not deliver that kind of performance, when they are linked.

But in new I3/I5/I7 Series processes, FSB dose not exist(Recently Learned), Its replaced with BCLK. So now i can just set clock speed 35GHz to 4.4GHz without touching Memory's Frequency.

My Question Are:

1) I have IVY I7 3550K, Which supports 1600MHz RAM. So logically, Is it having 1600MHz FSB???

2) How should i overclock my I7 3770K processor to full utilize overclocked RAM??? or How can i overclock CPU along with RAM???

My Specs:
I7 3770K (Supports 1600MHz Memory)
Maximus V Gene
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz (9-9-9-24)
Seagate 2TB HDD
Corsair 500R Case
TX 650 V2 PSU
Stock Cooling
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 18, 2012 4:52:03 PM

The overclocking does depend on your motherboards options and the more options in there the better , Asus boards are pretty good for the selection of options to overclock. One thing you can try right away untll you get more familiar with the new cpu and motherboard is the preset overclock.
I have the Asus Rampage Extreme IV and just yesterday I decided to overclock it a bit with one of the presets. If you go into the bios you'll see the CPU level up option and when selected it will give you a selection of speeds to choose from. Mine says 4.017G ,4.125G and 4.250G so I chose the lowest and saved and exit. By selecting this preset overclock it set the overclock settings to 4.017 ghz for a cpu speed and it also set the BCLK to 103 which in turn bumped the ram up to 1375 mhz from 1333 mhz. So now the task is to clock the ram up further because I have 1866 mhz ram but the motherboard defaults it to 1333 mhz untill you raise it up.
So now in your case you can choose an overclock preset to use for now and that will bump up the ram also or you can leave the cpu alone and select the XMP profile and that will set the ram to the rated speed that you have. I'm pretty sure that unless you have already raised up the ram that you are currently running at 1333 mhz.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274821-29-sandy-bridg...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259903-29-overclockin...

These are some of the stickys that are at the top of the forums and will give you some insight to overclocking your cpu , some of them refer to the Sandy Bridge but can be used for the Ivy Bridge also.
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:08:47 PM

inzone said:
The overclocking does depend on your motherboards options and the more options in there the better , Asus boards are pretty good for the selection of options to overclock. One thing you can try right away untll you get more familiar with the new cpu and motherboard is the preset overclock.
I have the Asus Rampage Extreme IV and just yesterday I decided to overclock it a bit with one of the presets. If you go into the bios you'll see the CPU level up option and when selected it will give you a selection of speeds to choose from. Mine says 4.017G ,4.125G and 4.250G so I chose the lowest and saved and exit. By selecting this preset overclock it set the overclock settings to 4.017 ghz for a cpu speed and it also set the BCLK to 103 which in turn bumped the ram up to 1375 mhz from 1333 mhz. So now the task is to clock the ram up further because I have 1866 mhz ram but the motherboard defaults it to 1333 mhz untill you raise it up.
So now in your case you can choose an overclock preset to use for now and that will bump up the ram also or you can leave the cpu alone and select the XMP profile and that will set the ram to the rated speed that you have. I'm pretty sure that unless you have already raised up the ram that you are currently running at 1333 mhz.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274821-29-sandy-bridg...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259903-29-overclockin...

These are some of the stickys that are at the top of the forums and will give you some insight to overclocking your cpu , some of them refer to the Sandy Bridge but can be used for the Ivy Bridge also.

CPU Level up is automate overclock or easy overclock. I tried it by clocking my cpu on 4.6GHz but did'nt notice BCLK Change(Now i will).

But it seems you running your memory UNDERCLOCKED which i dont want. If i had high speed ram, i would be liking to run it on full speed, even if had to overclock CPU.
m
l
Related resources
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 18, 2012 5:46:06 PM

Well , like I said I am next going to address the ram since I just finished the build a few days ago I'm in no rush but will get the components to where they need to be. Before the setting of the preset I had enabled the XMP Profile wich set the ram at 1866 mhz , however once I chose the cpu level up it canceled the XMP Profile so now I have to go back and raise the ram speed up manualy.
m
l
September 19, 2012 7:09:08 AM

inzone said:
Well , like I said I am next going to address the ram since I just finished the build a few days ago I'm in no rush but will get the components to where they need to be. Before the setting of the preset I had enabled the XMP Profile wich set the ram at 1866 mhz , however once I chose the cpu level up it canceled the XMP Profile so now I have to go back and raise the ram speed up manualy.

this is my concern, if high frequency like 2666mhz ram is available and we can't utilze it. Because even new ivy bridge processor supports no more than 1600mhz. So what is the benifit of that?
I mean, if i buy 2666mhz ram and i am running it with ivy and it will be using 1600mhz speed of the ram. So how can i make ivy to support more then 1600mhz.
m
l
September 19, 2012 7:10:17 AM

inzone said:

this is my concern, if high frequency like 2666mhz ram is available and we can't utilze it. Because even new ivy bridge processor supports no more than 1600mhz. So what is the benifit of that?
I mean, if i buy 2666mhz ram and i am running it with ivy and it will be using 1600mhz speed of the ram. So how can i make ivy to support more then 1600mhz.
m
l
September 19, 2012 7:12:01 AM

inzone said:

m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 138 K Overclocking
September 19, 2012 3:35:56 PM

The motherboards are the culprit in this ram speed thing as they will support 1066 or 1333mhz out of the box when you install any ram that is above those speeds. Some boards are now going as high as 1600mhz but once you have the ram installed you can enable the XMP Profile and it will go right to the rams rated speed whatever that is. In my case I put the 1866 mhz ram in and it defaulted to 1333 mhz , then I enabled the XMP Profile and it went to the rated speed 1866 mhz. It dropped back to 1333 mhz when I did the preset overclock because the board wouln't run the XMP and CPU level up both at the same time so I have to manually change that so I can have the ram at 1866 mhz. Ivy Bridge will run the ram at the rated speeds it's just that the motherboard has to be configured to do so.
m
l
!