120g SATA III SSD or 1tb WD SATA III Caviar Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

oosaki

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Since I now am returning my 1tb SATA III Seagate Barracuda I am stuck in a dilemma. I'm trying to decide between A. OCZ Vertex 3 or going with 1tb WD Caviar Black.

My pc will mainly be used to game with the possibility of overclocking. I want a drive I can put my games and OS unless there is a better configuration I'm just not thinking about. The SSD feels kind of limiting in size, but maybe the speed is worth the compromise? Money is an object and I'm at max only looking to spend $250, but lower than that is very welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Solution
If everything you want to store on the machine will fit in 120 GB, then get the SSD. If you need more storage, you will need either the hard drive or, if you can afford it or have a decent HDD lying around, the SSD with the OS installed on it and your data and music files and so forth on the HDD. If you go this route, ensure that no HDD is attached to the motherboard when you install the OS on the SSD.

In either case, you need one more drive: an external drive to back up anything that you still want to have tomorrow. This is one of the best investments that you can make; ask anyone who has had a hard drive fail.

Personally, I'm running my whole OS out of a 50 GB partition on my 128 GB SSD, but I'm not much of a gamer.
If everything you want to store on the machine will fit in 120 GB, then get the SSD. If you need more storage, you will need either the hard drive or, if you can afford it or have a decent HDD lying around, the SSD with the OS installed on it and your data and music files and so forth on the HDD. If you go this route, ensure that no HDD is attached to the motherboard when you install the OS on the SSD.

In either case, you need one more drive: an external drive to back up anything that you still want to have tomorrow. This is one of the best investments that you can make; ask anyone who has had a hard drive fail.

Personally, I'm running my whole OS out of a 50 GB partition on my 128 GB SSD, but I'm not much of a gamer.

Solution

oosaki

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Thank you for your reply. I'm going to try and get the SSD as i do have one SATA 3g hard drive I can use for the less desirables. Installing the OS and primary games on an SSD seems like the solution for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS