Sign in with
Your question

Which 5750 to get?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 19, 2010 5:36:45 PM

I'm upgrading from a GT 220, and only have a 360psu (from a Dell studio xps 435mt)
I know the psu is under the suggested minimum, but really it's enough right? (i7-920 stock, 1hdd, 1 dvd-rw, 3x1gb ddr3)
Supposedly it can run a 4850 just fine.

So which 5750 to get, I'm interested in the HIS iceQ+. Should run the coolest right? And I like it pumps hot air out the back. Or what about the Sapphire Vapor-X? I could still overclock it right?

Thanks for any advice!

More about : 5750

a c 189 U Graphics card
January 20, 2010 1:28:57 AM

I wouldn't say anything, not before you upgrade your PSU...
Really, trust me, PSU is the most important part of your system... :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2010 4:02:53 PM

While the 5750 also has low energy use--it is still quite a bit more than the gt220.

If you are serious about gaming you should get a new PSU. If you are only sort of serious a 5670/GT 240 ddr5 would be a reasonable option.
m
l
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 20, 2010 4:16:48 PM

I wouldn't run a 5750 on a 360W PSU either. does it even have a 6 pin PCI-E power connector? If it doesn't you REALLY know you don't want to try it.
m
l
January 20, 2010 5:04:37 PM

No thanks on the GT240, possibly a 5670 would suffice, but I think it would be a waste since it couldn't run DX11 games at a worthwhile rate anyways, and I can wait for a DX11 card. I know for a fact a 4770 will work perfectly fine on my PSU, which I also noticed according to that chart uses the same power as the 5750, but according to other charts I've seen I thought it used more, perhaps that was 5770 though. Also all the PSU calculators says 360w is fine at even peak, which is around 330w, but how often are both the CPU and GPU and all other components stressed at the same time besides a stress test? I am fairly new to tinkering with PC's, but I keep getting mixed signals. Can anyone show me something or explain to me why I would need a new PSU? I guess a 4470 would do me justice till I can afford a new PSU and better PSU right?
Thanks guys! and/or girls :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2010 5:29:15 PM

To clarify, there is a good chance that it "could" run a decent card like a 4770 or 5750-- it would just be very stupid to do so. Stressing your system like that would make your entire system much more likely to fail-- your power supply could burn up and take your motherboard, processor and ram with it.
Additionally, the 5750 will require an additional 6-pin power connector that I doubt your power supply has.

The difference between power supplies isnt in the total wattage available from the power supply, its in the quality of the unit and the amperage available on the 12v rail. Dell puts halfway decent power supplies in their computers--but they are still not intended for higher end graphics cards than what comes with the system.

The power supply upgrade isnt a big deal though--this Corsair 400cx (which I have) could easily run a 5750 and its only $39 after MIR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There are other price competitive high quality options available from Antec, Corsair, OCZ, and Seasonic.
m
l
January 20, 2010 5:53:21 PM

Ya it has the 6-pin, but I see what you're saying. I think the PSU only has 20amps on the 12v, which I see now might be about a few amps short :( 
I've never replaced a PSU before, how do I choose one besides Watts and Amps? What else do I need to look for and what will be compatible for my system? Reading on a few forums I see Corsair PSU's don't like the PC I have for some reason. And also I need one that will run very very cool. I don't need one to be whisper quiet but my girlfriend would kill me if it was very loud :pt1cable:  Any suggestions? Would this be ok?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 20, 2010 5:58:06 PM

deadlockedworld said:
To clarify, there is a good chance that it "could" run a decent card like a 4770 or 5750-- it would just be very stupid to do so. Stressing your system like that would make your entire system much more likely to fail-- your power supply could burn up and take your motherboard, processor and ram with it.
Additionally, the 5750 will require an additional 6-pin power connector that I doubt your power supply has.

The difference between power supplies isnt in the total wattage available from the power supply, its in the quality of the unit and the amperage available on the 12v rail. Dell puts halfway decent power supplies in their computers--but they are still not intended for higher end graphics cards than what comes with the system.

The power supply upgrade isnt a big deal though--this Corsair 400cx (which I have) could easily run a 5750 and its only $39 after MIR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

There are other price competitive high quality options available from Antec, Corsair, OCZ, and Seasonic.

I totally agree. It probably would work, but if the PSU is cheaply made the chances of the components in the PSU to burn out is higher. I personally would not want to take the chance, I've seen to many bad things happen when PSU's burn out or pop, and they do go "POP" (smoke and everything). You never NEVER want to run a PSU close to 100% load. They run the most efficient at 50% in almost all cases. A PSU is one of the parts you really don't want to cheap out on. But to each his own i guess. Knock your socks off, It could very well be fine. Your chances of failure are increased, however.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 20, 2010 6:07:34 PM

slayerx said:
Ya it has the 6-pin, but I see what you're saying. I think the PSU only has 20amps on the 12v, which I see now might be about a few amps short :( 
I've never replaced a PSU before, how do I choose one besides Watts and Amps? What else do I need to look for and what will be compatible for my system? Reading on a few forums I see Corsair PSU's don't like the PC I have for some reason. And also I need one that will run very very cool. I don't need one to be whisper quiet but my girlfriend would kill me if it was very loud :pt1cable:  Any suggestions? Would this be ok?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU's are relativly quiet unless you run them at HIGH load. Their fans spin up as heat increases. I would stay away from Rosewill PSU's, they don't have the greatest reputation. The Corsair suggested is a good choice. You can get away with one of these as well, they have good MIR's. The OCZ is a really good choice as it has 2 PCI-E power connectors and can handle 36A on the 12V rails. (432w/12v=36A) It will give you some room to grow to a 2nd card or a single larger card down the road.

Thermaltake 500w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OCZ 500w: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2010 6:20:04 PM

I considered suggesting that OCZ power supply as well. It has a higher cost before rebate, but is slightly higher efficiency than my Corsair 400cx. (I really like my corsair--its very quiet and stays pretty cool)

The Thermaltake doesnt look quite as good (lower efficency, etc) but would still be good to run a 5750 or 5770, and is $10 cheaper...
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 20, 2010 11:59:56 PM

Go as they said, we don't want u to regret it later if your PSU fail and take the other components as well.
Stay away from rosewill, use a better PSU like corsair or ocz as Jay and dlw said...
If u can afford an expensive vga card then why not just $50-$80 for a high quality PSU?
:) 
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
January 21, 2010 12:43:32 AM

PSU's are also one of those things that if you invest in now, you can take it through several builds. The PSU before the one I had saw 3 builds. It saw 3 seperate video cards and was able to handle each one. It was just an Enermax 600w and was $80. Money well spent. I sold it off for $40 and got a deal on my PC Power and Cooling 750W for $90 after rebates. There are some deals out there. One thing you don't want is a crappy PSU with expensive parts.
m
l
January 24, 2010 6:23:52 PM

Finally had time to pop open my case. My PSU says 12V-A 15Amp, 12V-B 16Amp, +5V 18A +5Vaux 2A +3.3V- 17A.
Doesn't make sense to me, that's too many amps for 350 watts. But it does say that it can supply 300 Watts to the 12v rails.
Anyways, I don't have room for a PSU that's any wider, are they all mostly the same size, because lot's of them don't list the dimensions.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2010 7:19:41 PM

ATX is a standard PSU size. I'm pretty sure the XPS case is that size.
m
l
January 31, 2010 7:27:42 PM

Got this installed, couldn't pass it up for only $45 flat brand new http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And now I am considering getting a 5770, or wait a bit for it to be released and I'll hopefully have the cash for a supposedly soon to be released 5830. But if I were to get a 5770, which one? I was looking at these, but what exactly is the difference, I can't find info on the newest one, the -3L anywhere. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Thanks guys :sol: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 9:12:59 PM

There shouldn't be much different between the models. Just pick the cooler you prefer. The rear-exhaust fan model is probably slightly louder, but could be a good option if you have a hot case.

Otherwise just get the middle one because its cheapest with the free shipping...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2010 12:56:57 AM

I would get the cheapest.
m
l
!