Help with Overclocked EVGA GTX 660 Ti Please

Boogachoog

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
I've had my 660ti for about two weeks now and the first day it ran fine, but after that I started getting black screens, red screen of death, restarts with my fan going at 100%. I've concluded this is either overheating or an overclocking problem, maybe both. I've tested just about anything you can think of, but what I really need help with is getting my Super Clocked 660 Ti to standard clocks of the other cards. What program should I use? Or should I do it through my bios? Also how do I do it and what do I do? If anyone can answer any of this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. Here's the link to my Graphics Card.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=003818198

and this is the standard non-overclocked version
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=003818196

Solution
A lot of places will charge a restocking fee for items returned for a refund and it's usually 15% of the price of the item. At this point I would return the card for a new one since it's definetly defective. If you want to try and do a return and see if they weill let you get a different brand you could try that , but on a return they usually will just ship you a replacement of the same brand that you bought.

Boogachoog

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Running Borderlands 2 on max settings at 1920x1080

Graphics card Idles around 36c and goes to red, white, or grey screen at 68c. Which can rule out overheating. What else could it be? Could it be maybe it's overclocked too high? I consider myself somewhat moderately smart with computers, but i'm stumped on this one.

Boogachoog

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Ok I downclocked the card and achieved the same results. The same for raising the voltage. If it's not overheating and its not overclocked too extreme. What can this be? Drivers error? I've done several clean installs with every driver I can use on my video card and still get the same results?

Edit: Also just a note that if turn my graphics settings down to its lowest, the game will last 10x longer before it goes to red screen or whatever it decides to do.

The Evga tech support is very good and the problems or questions that I have had have been answered to my satifaction. Plus they are just great at RMA and the turn afound is pretty decsnt they don't keep you wanting. If you have had the card for less then 30 days then return it to Tiger Direct this really does sound like a defective card. Overclock , underclock and not overheating sounds like a defective card and it happens there's no doubt anybody can get a brand new card and be defective out of the box.

Boog

EVGA provides only token support for their factory OC'd cards. After 18 months, 20 support calls and 5 RMA's, they blamed memory, MoBo, PSU and just about everything else. I finally took the excuses away by putting two Asus factory overclocked cards in the same box, overclocked them to a 30% OC and they ran fine.

Put the single EVGA FTW back in, and it would only run stable at reference speeds not the advertised FTW OC speeds. They finally sent a next generation reference card as a replacement.

Done dozens of builds since (no EVGA) and only had one issue with a GFX card (fan hitting shroud) which was replaced within days, no questions asked. I have never been so frustrated as I was w/ EVGA as every support call right up to the 20th began at square one and I had to go thru all the mundane checks that I had to go thru the previous 19 calls.

I'd return it to where you bought it and get the MSI 660 Ti PE, the Asus DCII (with new BIOS) or any other models which have the new tweaked BIOS's.

Boogachoog

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
@JackNaylorPE

Yea I really want to get the asus card. looks like it would keep the gpu cool and it fit nice in my phantom full tower. I have a two year warranty with my card, you think I should RMA for a new one just to make sure it isn't the card or would I be better off getting the refund?

A lot of places will charge a restocking fee for items returned for a refund and it's usually 15% of the price of the item. At this point I would return the card for a new one since it's definetly defective. If you want to try and do a return and see if they weill let you get a different brand you could try that , but on a return they usually will just ship you a replacement of the same brand that you bought.

Solution

markhgn

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

I think I have the same problem with this same card. Under normal desktop use the card has been fine but when playing games there have been intermittent lock-ups, dropping to a black screen, then my system reboots. I enabled logging via EVGA's supplied PrecisionX software and temps, voltage, fan speed are all fine. Using the supplied drivers or the latest drivers has made no difference. Not had the fan issue but similar enough problem. Back to the supplier it goes....