Sign in with
Your question

Faulty PSU? Ultra 750W

Last response: in Components
April 1, 2010 11:47:18 AM

Hi all,

I am wondering if my PSU is faulty. I did a quick search to look for similar posts but did not come up with anything that matches mine question.

80% of the time it works great, never shuts down on me, but occasionally when I go to turn the PC on, the system and fans spool up for a little less than one second then shuts off. The power button on the case doesn't respond. I turn the power switch on the PSU on an off, unplug everything, plug back in, flip the switch a few times and in between try the PC on switch again. So far after doing these several times, it will start up, but seems to take a different process each time so I can't narrow it down. This is the first PC ive built so I am still learning to trouble shoot. Is the PSU just faulty you think? It was an open box deal and like I said its very reliable when its running.

Thanks for any input,

More about : faulty psu ultra 750w

a c 243 ) Power supply
April 1, 2010 12:14:45 PM

puntacana1 said:
It was an open box deal and like I said its very reliable when its running.

An "Open Box" buy on a psu isn't a good idea to begin with.
" Very reliable when it's running ", means it's not reliable.

April 1, 2010 12:40:28 PM

delluser1 said:
An "Open Box" buy on a psu isn't a good idea to begin with.
" Very reliable when it's running ", means it's not reliable.

Thanks, but open box or not, I was hoping to gain some insight on trouble shooting, trying to pinpoint the problem. If this is the worst I have to put up with the PSU, then it still still a good investment as I paid less than half the list price :D 

Any ideas where to look?
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
April 1, 2010 3:12:15 PM

Is the power supply still under warranty? If so, then you could have it replaced with a brand new power supply.

You could open the psu and examine the components for signs of problems. However, it the unit is still under warranty then opening the psu will void it.

Unfortunately about the only thing Ultra is known for is introducing the first modular power supplies. Ultra has a bad reputation among gamers and enthusiast for low budget, low quality power supplies of questionable value and performance.
April 1, 2010 3:44:14 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Is the power supply still under warranty? If so, then you could have it replaced with a brand new power supply.

You could open the psu and examine the components for signs of problems. However, it the unit is still under warranty then opening the psu will void it.

Unfortunately about the only thing Ultra is known for is introducing the first modular power supplies. Ultra has a bad reputation among gamers and enthusiast for low budget, low quality power supplies of questionable value and performance.

Thanks dood, I am going to inquire about the warrenty. But to be honest, if it means being without a PSU while they send me a new one (I presume you have to send them yours first) I will just keep it. or eventually invest in a well known reliable brand and keep this one as a back up. I would have just returned it to the Tiger Direct store but the problem is that I bought this on sale before I did my build so the 30 days for that was up.

Thanks again!
April 1, 2010 7:03:19 PM

Open box PSU's are never good enough to buy...

Ultra has improved a bit in recent years though, but they're still trailing the other big PSU brands.
!