Is there a source for a 64-bit driver for the LS-120 drive (Panasonic camera).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyPE

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I have a Panasonic camera which uses LS-120 Superdisks for storage. I use it for my work as a natural gas engineer. It is extremely tough and I do not have to downsample the 1.3 MP images to email or post on the web. I also (rare occcasions) use it with an old Win2000 laptop like a floppy drive.
Unfortunately Windows 7 64-bit does not even recognize it is hooked up. I went to 64-bit to facilitate AutoCAD memory use. Now I have to use other computers to get photos onto my primary machine. Panasonic has not updated their driver since Win2000, but the camera has worked fine with WinXP and Vista. Any ideas for a 64-bit driver source?
Thanks.

Solution
My first approaches would be
0) Try another USB cable.
1) Try it in another PC, just to check
2) Check Panasonic to see if there are any recent updates for support for that model
3) Throw up my hands in despair, or buy an external USB LS-120 reader.

If you find that you can read the disks attaching the camera to another computer, and if you haven't already, make backup copies of every one of your disks.
How do you hook up to the PC? Do you have a Superdisk drive installed (which I think uses the floppy interface), a USB reader, or connect the camera directly? This would tell us what direction to go in.

The first suggestion would be to see if Panasonic has a support page. But I think that that is a fairly old format. How old is the camera? What is the model number?

TommyPE

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I connect the camera directly to the computer using a USB cable. I just realized my original request is misleading; the computer initially tries to install a driver but fails, and thereafter does not see the drive/camera. In previous Windows versions (98-Vista) the camera was listed as Floppy B:.
This Panasonic camera is similar to the Mavica camera manufactured by Sony which uses floppy drive memory, but mine uses 120 MB disks as well.

My first approaches would be
0) Try another USB cable.
1) Try it in another PC, just to check
2) Check Panasonic to see if there are any recent updates for support for that model
3) Throw up my hands in despair, or buy an external USB LS-120 reader.

If you find that you can read the disks attaching the camera to another computer, and if you haven't already, make backup copies of every one of your disks.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.