Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Big bang Xpower need both EPS 8pins connected?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 25, 2010 7:14:45 PM

Hi I just bought the MSI bigbang Xpower, but i've just see the dual EPS 8 pins and my power supply only have 1x 8-pin 12V and 1x 4-pin 12V for motherboards.

I don't want to connect before ask first because i don't want to burn something (i kill my budget with this MoBo)

please help
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2010 7:28:07 PM

what Power supply do you have?
m
l
August 25, 2010 8:58:15 PM

Emerald said:
what Power supply do you have?

coolermaster realpower 750W
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 274 ) Power supply
a c 117 V Motherboard
August 26, 2010 6:04:00 AM

It will power fine just use your main 24pin and one of the 8pin.Anything more is for hardcore oc'ing.
Go to the bottom of linked page and click power supply.
A 300w psu can run that board..
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodtestreport&mainca...
m
l
August 26, 2010 3:03:37 PM

davcon said:
It will power fine just use your main 24pin and one of the 8pin.Anything more is for hardcore oc'ing.
Go to the bottom of linked page and click power supply.
A 300w psu can run that board..
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodtestreport&mainca...

Then I only have to connect one 8-pin 12V and the other I can leave with out connection, or I can connect the 4-pin 12V in the other?

My complete system is:
MoBo = MSI big bang Xpower (right now I have an ECS A780GM-A)
Ram = Adata 6Gb 1600Mhz DDR3 2Gb x 3 (right now I have 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz)
CPU = core i7 930 (no OC) maybe at 3.4Ghz in the future (right now I have a Phenom X4 9750 2.4Ghz 95W)
Heatsink = Coolermaster V8
VGA = Sapphire ATI HD 4890 (not the OC edition it's the normal edition)
Fans = front 140mm x1, rear 120mm x1, top 140mm x2, bottom 120mm x2, left 120mm x2, right 80mm x1, HDD 120mm x1, VGA holder 80mm x1
HDD = Seagate SATA II 500Gb 7200.12
Drive = Lite on DVD+/-RW DL lightscribe
PSU = Coolermaster realpower 750W

I don't want to connect the MSI MoBo, DDR3 RAM and the core i7 because I don't want to mess anything, the AMD plataform that I have it's working fine I'm just waiting for the answer to connect my new Intel upgrade

The VGA will change in the middle of the 2011 for two GTX 460, so the PSU will change to for the Cooler master Silent Pro 1000W (this PSU has 2x ATX 4+4 pins)

I need to change the PSU right now or until I have the two GTX 460?

And for last I just see the 6 pin in the MoBo just side to the PCI-E x1, what is for?

And sorry for all the questions but it's my first high end build and I could hardly get the money for this hardware and I don't want to leave any detail without attention
m
l
August 26, 2010 3:54:09 PM

This are the two connector that I don't know what are for?

m
l

Best solution

a c 274 ) Power supply
a c 117 V Motherboard
August 27, 2010 10:24:50 AM

jenkas said:
This are the two connector that I don't know what are for?

http://s2.subirimagenes.com/otros/previo/thump_5051961msi-xpower.jpg

You'll only need to plug in what i previously posted.Your board is heavy duty and features 16 phase power design and an extra 8 pin connection to provide more power to the board for hardcore overclocking features.
Your board will power up and run fine and perfectly safe with the 24pin ATX plug and one 8pin.
The extra 8pin is for extra power for extreme overclocking features it helps the board remain stable if those features are utilized.
I would wait to buy the new psu until you have all the new gear intended for the board.
95% of the boards on the market only require two main power connections. I hope you're clear on why there's an extra 8pin now( a feature found only on the most expensive boards.)
The blue panel at the bottom of the board is a diagnostic panel for voltage meters.I have no idea what the other one is for.
I suggest you read the mobo manual since it will tell you everything you need to know.
You're safe to power up the mobo with your current psu.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rampage-iii-extreme...
August 27, 2010 6:24:23 PM

davcon said:
You'll only need to plug in what i previously posted.Your board is heavy duty and features 16 phase power design and an extra 8 pin connection to provide more power to the board for hardcore overclocking features.
Your board will power up and run fine and perfectly safe with the 24pin ATX plug and one 8pin.
The extra 8pin is for extra power for extreme overclocking features it helps the board remain stable if those features are utilized.
I would wait to buy the new psu until you have all the new gear intended for the board.
95% of the boards on the market only require two main power connections. I hope you're clear on why there's an extra 8pin now( a feature found only on the most expensive boards.)
The blue panel at the bottom of the board is a diagnostic panel for voltage meters.I have no idea what the other one is for.
I suggest you read the mobo manual since it will tell you everything you need to know.
You're safe to power up the mobo with your current psu.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rampage-iii-extreme...

Thanks DAVCON I've already connect the new hardware and it's working perfectly I won't make OC yet until I have the other PSU (and after read some of OC because it's gonna be my first OC), and I was reading the manual and the 6 pin ATX connector is for make SLI or CF configuration more stable (with OC the VGA's I guess the manual doesn't specifies, only say the 6 pin ATX must be connected for SLI or CF but I think it can do both configurations with out this)

Anyway thanks for all the help, the tom's hardware comunity always help me to figure it out any issue with my customers build and mines to
m
l
August 27, 2010 6:27:33 PM

Best answer selected by jenkas.
m
l
!