Considering overclocking, granted it's worth my time.

vaevictum

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
So I have a new set up and have looked at the various options I have for overclocking and haven't yet decided if I want to.

My build was...

Mobo - ASRock B75M
Cpu - I3 3220
Gpu - HiS HD Radeon 7770
Psu - Rosewill 550w Modular PSU

The cpu has the stock cooler on it but from what I've been told I probably wont need much more than the stock cooler even if I OC.

The mobo came with the ASRock eXtreme tuner software and the video card is able to OC via Catalyst control center. Honestly I probably don't need to OC but I was wondering if anyone had some input on if I do decide to. I've never OC'd before so I'm not too sure on how to run system stability tests after making changes.

Any help is appreciated.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I have not worked with an Intel locked-multiplier chip, but from what I have read, it's just like my unlocked chip up to a point. (The multiplier range is limited on the locked chips but still adjustable)

So while it would be a real hassle to get an aggressive overclock with your chip, a mild overclock should be relatively easy.

I prefer dynamic overclocking with voltage offsets. (allows CPU to down-clock at idle/light load)

Simply increase your CPU multiplier a little, then load test while monitoring voltage and heat. (I use CPU-Z for voltage, and HWMointor and/or Core temp for temps.

All overclocking carries some level of risk, but if you want to be "less risky" load test your CPU at bone-stock settings and note the voltage. Whatever that voltage is, try and maintain that voltage as you overclock. Your motherboard will automatically increase voltage when you increase speed.

In order to bring your voltage back down to "stock", you will need to use a negative offset. This is where you set a value that you want your motherboard to add or subtract from the voltage it would otherwise apply at a given clock speed. The motherboards automatic "target voltage" will vary with load and speed, but an offset will change that moving target by the amount you set in the "offset voltage" section of your BIOS. (I am using a-0.070v offset with my overclock)

It doesn't have to be dead-on identical to stock voltage, but I would stay as close as possible. (And below 1.35v regardless) More voltage helps with stability but also increases heat.

Different people recommend different max temps. Intel allows these chips to get around 100C before they throttle back to protect themselves, but I prefer to stay under 70C at max load.

As for stability testing, you will get different answers from different people, but I use 2 hours of prime 95 blend to get an idea of general stability. I also make it a point to surf the web and even control-alt-delete occasionally to throw it a curve while it's under load. (This has actually caused BSOD's in overclocks that were holding it together under prime up to that point)

For temps, Intel burn test at very high or maximum seems to really push the thermal limits of your CPU/cooling.

Then I throw in some video benchmarks like 3DMark11 and Haven DX11.

And finally I go through a couple levels on a video game.

If it makes it through all that, with no hiccups or heat issues, it's good to go in my book.

That's true for "locked" i5's and i7's, but not for i3's because i3's don't have Turbo (what you use to OC the locked i5's and i7's).

For i3's, you're stuck with BCLK OC'ing.

Edit: As far as I know, OC'ing isn't even possible on a B75 board. I've seen things that say BCLK OC'ing is possible, but I've also seen things that say no OC'ing is possible. I took a look at the manual for that board and there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust the BCLK, so even if some B75 boards can OC with the BCLK, it looks like that one can't.

vaevictum

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
qrkfvp.jpg

This is a picture of the program I installed that came WITH my motherboard.

I'm not sure what BCLK OC'ing is but I'm not understanding why they would send software for overclocking with my motherboard on a disc if I can't even use it.

I'm not trying to challenge you but just figure this out since you said you weren't sure.

Yeah, that doesn't have a BCLK option, just multipliers, so you can't OC with that (at least not with an i3).

Beyond that, I'm not sure how far you can go with the multipliers, so it may not even be possible to OC with a "K" CPU on that board.

Regardless, even if that board was able to OC, you wouldn't want to. Very weak VRM section.

B75 boards are meant to be used for small businesses and for people that don't care about ultimate performance. That's why they're cheap.