Sign in with
Your question

How can I make the Sun Fire V100 quieter?

Last response: in Components
April 1, 2010 4:10:44 PM

It is rated at 60 decibels when idling! And I would like to have it in my lounge, what is the first suggestions for making it quieter? Has anybody done this before?

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?ta...
April 2, 2010 1:12:33 AM

How about getting a can of compressed air and blowing out all the dust. Otherwise tell me are the fans replaceable and how big can they go?
m
l
April 2, 2010 1:37:19 AM

this is 60 decibels when idling AND when *brand new*! (as according to the spec sheet which I listed)

no idea exactly how loud it is now as I can't measure it, but I would say still about the same

fan can't go too *big* as is in a rack mounted case
m
l
Related resources
April 2, 2010 1:40:40 AM

Not that experienced with servers but they are designed for maximum performance and reliability, not really for home use. Can you put it in a room as that is what they are designed for since noise wasn't a big problem as that's the fan keeping all the high performance comonents cool.
m
l
April 2, 2010 4:44:25 AM

nope, will only be a few feet away from my bed as I live in an apartment.

I was thinking surely there must be options, like drilling holes in the top of the case and under clocking it 10% etc?
m
l
April 2, 2010 5:22:54 AM

new case and coolling?
m
l
April 2, 2010 5:32:21 AM

this is a V100, not worth spending more than a price of a couple of beers on it :p 
m
l
April 2, 2010 5:47:53 AM

get a new server
m
l
April 2, 2010 6:21:16 AM

nah, this is just for experimenting/learning on. And hosting some of my very low traffic sites (a few hundred registered users)
m
l
April 2, 2010 6:24:29 PM

mathmo said:
It is rated at 60 decibels when idling! And I would like to have it in my lounge, what is the first suggestions for making it quieter? Has anybody done this before?

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?ta...

It's a 1U server, so it's going to be hair-dryer loud with any kind of air cooling because you are forced to use teeny tiny super-high RPM fans due to the short 1.75" case height. You pretty much have two options to cool it down. The first is to swap the CPU's passive heatsink with a water block and water cool it with an external pump, reservoir, and radiator. The second option is to buy a taller case like a 4U and try to find a taller actively-cooled heatsink with a larger, slower-spinning fan. I'd probably go for option #3, which is to get a newer server as the 500 MHz CPU in that machine is roughly as fast as a PIII or an original Athlon. You do give up the coolness factor of running a non-x86 machine, but you'll be able to get a much quieter machine from eBay or a surplus store for pretty cheap.
m
l
April 21, 2010 12:04:07 AM

The post is almost a month old but for reference:
I have one of these servers sitting under my couch.
These are designed to run in an environment where the temperature is high, so you can buy 2 potentiometers (a.k.a fan controls) for 2€ each and get a cheap silent server with an electric consumption well under 40W (yes 40W, electricity is not free as you know ...): at 5V the temperature remains acceptable.
I run OpenSolaris b129 with 2 mirrored hard disk drives of 40GB (ZFS inside) to serve a scientific publications database and some personal websites.
Memory usage is about 360-380Mo (including ZFS cache, nginx, mysql and friends) so there's enough room and responsiveness is good enough (i performed some benchmarks: the 650MHz in 32bit mode is roughly equivalent to a 733MHz - 800MHz PIII Coppermine depending on the task and about the same as the 1GHz PIII Mobile Tualatin based laptop it has replaced, 64bit not tested).
A nice and reliable machine as other SUN's.
Somebody has successfully installed a VGA card fan on the CPU (Zerotherm gx710) and i have tested a modified Zalman VF-700.
It's cheaper than Atom-based solutions and sufficient for my needs.
Cheers,

a.
m
l
May 31, 2010 1:44:29 PM

thanks! man, now I really wish I had got it but it got sold a while ago.... ah well, I'll keep my eyes upon ;) 
m
l
June 6, 2010 6:14:12 PM

:)  oh well. see my quote
<--
m
l
!