Sign in with
Your question

Recover files from reformatted hard drive

Last response: in Storage
January 23, 2012 3:11:57 PM

Hello,

Hi, I partitioned my HP laptop hard drive where the OS was installed to make it smaller using acronis disk director. And so that i can dual boot windows 8.

After proccess it said successful but the process was done on boot up, cause thats how acronis does stuff, i have done this before but for this HP laptop something went wrong and now i could not boot. I was kinda sleepy that night so I didn't remember that i had UBCD and i can access the files so if i just decided to reformat the whole drive i saved my files.

Anyway, i forgot and decided to just reformat the drive since i was going to upgrade from windows vista to windows 7 and dual boot windows 8.

i havent installed windows 8 yet since i have not burned the cd yet, so i just went on to install windows 8.

Now i have 1 OS single booting windows 8, and i was wondering if there is still a way to recover the files from my original parition, windows vista, since i have some important pictures there that needed to be saved, that i forgot.

And my mom is gonna kill me cause its her laptop.

thanks!

if i didnt explain clear just ask and i can probably explain more.
a c 277 G Storage
January 23, 2012 6:38:37 PM

The odds are that you will not be able to recover. There are lots of programs that can recover files after you reformat, because the data sectors were not overwritten. But the new install overwrote lots and lots of data sectors, and files that were stored on those sectors in part or in whole are gone. The NSA used to be able to recover such data, but as disk densities rose it became impossible.

Try a simple tool like EASEUS Partition Recovery and see if you got lucky and the files are still available. And, in the future, always have a backup of important stuff before playing with the drive that has the only copy. I've made many, many bad mistakes, but only lost data once (thank the Lord) because I keep backups, and make new ones just before playing with a live drive.

Good luck.
January 23, 2012 9:18:30 PM

okok ty hope i can still recover :) 
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 23, 2012 9:50:02 PM

It is surprising how many files can be recovered after formatting and reinstalling the operating system. Use the free program PCI file recovery

http://pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1

When using this program you will have to do a full scan of the hard drive which can take a long time but it will find any file that is recoverable.
January 23, 2012 10:09:41 PM

thanks thanks will try that. thanks for the positive news :) 
November 2, 2012 10:15:56 AM

Hi mongii,

You can also try using Lost Partition Recovery software to recover your lost data after reformatting. The recovery is very much possible if the hard disk is not overwritten by new files. This is one of the best utility to get back data from reformatted partition. Click the below links to view the page site.

Page link= http://www.lostpartitionrecovery.com/get-back-data-from...

Download link= http://www.lostpartitionrecovery.com/download/lostparti...
!