Sign in with
Your question

How much of a performance increase should i notice in games?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 19, 2012 2:24:48 PM

I have overclocked my pehnom II x4 965 black edition from 3400 up to 4000,will the performance increase be noticeable?

Ran some prime95 tests and the max degree was fluctuating between 56-57.Are these temps ok?
September 19, 2012 2:57:03 PM

defalus said:
I have overclocked my pehnom II x4 965 black edition from 3400 up to 4000,will the performance increase be noticeable?

Ran some prime95 tests and the max degree was fluctuating between 56-57.Are these temps ok?

Temps are good and you'll notice 5-6 or more fps increase.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 19, 2012 3:02:03 PM

hardly worth the extra stress on the processor isn't it ?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2012 3:08:46 PM

swifty_morgan said:
hardly worth the extra stress on the processor isn't it ?

I couldn't agree more. Over clocking and multiple video boards has turned into a giant urinating contest for those of us who think our friends will admire us if we get a few more FPS. A complete waste of money & time.
September 19, 2012 3:58:38 PM

Maybe people like customizing their machines and pushing them to the limit? I don't OC just to brag about performance. I OC because I enjoy the challenge of doing something technical and getting it right.

P.S. I got my i5 3570k to 4.6 Ghz on air at 1.31v. 100% stable. On load on AID 64 I max out at 74 C.
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2012 4:33:50 PM

jstanley11 said:
Maybe people like customizing their machines and pushing them to the limit? I don't OC just to brag about performance. I OC because I enjoy the challenge of doing something technical and getting it right.

P.S. I got my i5 3570k to 4.6 Ghz on air at 1.31v. 100% stable. On load on AID 64 I max out at 74 C.

You say you don't do it to brag about performance but here you are bragging about performance. :D  Don't get me wrong, I've done my share of over clocking back when it really was significant and MUCH more of a technical challenge. I'm talking about "painting" tiny jumpers on Athlon CPUs. Today it's just adding hardware and changing BIOS settings. It just doesn't seem to me to be much of a technical challenge and with little to be gained in real world performance. I think a lot of new comers hear about over clocking and have unrealistic expectations like their systems are going to do something unique if they just spend enough money and/or devote enough time.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 19, 2012 5:31:31 PM

My 975 gives about 50fps on ultra in Crysis @3.6GHz, and clocking to 4GHz ups it to 61, haven't tried it at 4.5Ghz yet
now my eyes aren't the sharpest but its not really noticable to me so I put the clocks back to stock,
maybe later on when you need the extra few fps until you can afford the next upgrade its worth it, but for day to day its not really necessary, just E-Peen
Moto
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 20, 2012 12:48:30 AM

My 1100T at 3.3ghz CPU-NB 2000mhz gets about 50 or so fps looking at the same spot in metro on BF3, OCing to 4.12ghz and CPU-NB at 2899mhz I get 70 - 72fps again looking in the same spot on metro on our clans empty server, Thats from the OC. Really think that the CPU-NB is the biggest bottleneck of the Phenoms.

But either way, I think OCing is worth it, I mean who is going to use their CPU for 10+ years? So I don't mind taking a hit in the life span. Also keep the temps as low as possible and all is good. I get bored and want my system to perform better then stock, even if its just a few FPS. As long as its stable and cool.
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 12:52:57 AM

I rest my case.
September 20, 2012 2:54:42 AM

I don't really do it for a performance gain. I just feel that the rate at which we change hardware nowadays, it makes sense to extract the max performance out of it, especially when it comes to desktops. Most of our hardware will just be thrown away without ever being used fully.
I mean, if people would change cars every 2-3 years, they'd want to do the same.
!